• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "invoicing client direct"

Collapse

• VillageContractor
    replied
    Been invoicing directly for for 15 months, all paid. Some slightly late and some bad book keeping from their end. But it's mainly their incompetence rather than a desire not to pay so I've been quite happy.

I guess it all depends like others have said.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Been invoicing direct with clients since started (only one small agency job in 8 years) and at worst have had a few invoices a few late and a few I've had to chase up a bit more, but 90% of my invoices get paid on time or early.

Most clients tend to either be the sort who pay on receipt of the invoice or those who wait to the exact due date (bigger companies usually). I've had one that insisted on paying my invoices as part of their monthly pay run, which meant technically some of them were late (I was billing fortnightly) but I couldn't be bothered arguing, they still paid each month.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    WTS. I did a small 4-week gig and still had to get a solicitors letter to get them to pay up. I also did a direct gig where the client went bust leaving me a month's money out of pocket. But recently I spent over a year working direct and never had any issues; in fact to start with even though they had 30 days they used to pay within 3 or 4 days until presumably somebody spotted it.

It can depend who you in the organisation you deal with. I think in the latter case it was the lady that operated the employee's payroll also paid the contractors, and that's why it was done promptly. If you're dealing with a purchasing department whose job it is to try to avoid paying for things, then it may get more tricky.
    Mimics my experience some what.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    WTS. I did a small 4-week gig and still had to get a solicitors letter to get them to pay up. I also did a direct gig where the client went bust leaving me a month's money out of pocket. But recently I spent over a year working direct and never had any issues; in fact to start with even though they had 30 days they used to pay within 3 or 4 days until presumably somebody spotted it.

It can depend who you in the organisation you deal with. I think in the latter case it was the lady that operated the employee's payroll also paid the contractors, and that's why it was done promptly. If you're dealing with a purchasing department whose job it is to try to avoid paying for things, then it may get more tricky.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Invoicing directing will be a total ball ache, unless you are happy to chase payments when the clientco is deliberately hold back from paying.
    Don't do it.
    Guess it depends on the client - I've been invoicing direct for the past few years with only a couple of hiccoughs.

First invoice was late by a few days because they struggled to get everything approved for the first one (needed extra approval). One was late because it disappeared in the scanning system (didn't go through for some reason) - when I chased it they did an extra payment run for me. One was rejected because they gave me the wrong PO number to put on it - corrected within the deadline to pay though.

If it means that there is one less company to disappear with the money then I'm in favour of it.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Invoicing directing will be a total ball ache, unless you are happy to chase payments when the clientco is deliberately hold back from paying.
    Don't do it.
    I've invoiced direct before, never had a problem. Once the IT manager had forgotten to approve my invoice in time, so when I didn't get it paid on time I asked him, he apologised and the AP department put the payment through on an emergency run.
    One other time I had calculated the VAT incorrectly on an invoice, so they rejected it and emailed me to my personal email address. I replied from my ClientCo email with a corrected invoice, payment made immediately.

It helps if you get on well with the company, in particular the person who approves your invoices and the AP team.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Don't do it.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I've worked direct for a number of clients where there was no contract, no purchase order and no timesheets to fill in. I just invoiced and got paid 30 days later, as per my standard terms and conditions. I prefer to have at least a purchase order though.

Leave a comment:

• bikeman
    replied
    I decided to take the work via an umbrella company. I don't think the client has much experience of using contractors because they haven't supplied a contract, just a note re working place, hours and payment terms. They also don't have a timesheet system. I've yet to speak to the umbrella co about this but wonder how they will proceed.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by bikeman View Post
    Sorry what I meant was as a single employee ltd company, though I guess on reflection it doesn't matter if it is one employee or hundreds, the ltd co still has to pay employers ni - I think I've got it
    With a ltd co, you can take money out via wages - PAYE, ERNIC, EENIC. Or by dividends - still taxed, but no NI deductions. Furthermore, with a ltd. co, you can not pay it all out, but hold over to subsequent years, allowing you to cover lean periods. Kind of contracting 101.

Leave a comment:

• bikeman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    You've lost me. "Through a Ltd co as a sole trader" - this makes no sense.
    Sorry what I meant was as a single employee ltd company, though I guess on reflection it doesn't matter if it is one employee or hundreds, the ltd co still has to pay employers ni - I think I've got it
    Last edited by bikeman; 12 April 2017, 20:44.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    So you also get tapped for the employer ni even if you work through a ltd co as a sole trader? I thought not having to pay employer ni was one of the advantages of going ltd co.
    You've lost me. "Through a Ltd co as a sole trader" - this makes no sense.

Leave a comment:

• bikeman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    From a client/agent POV it makes no difference if you use your own Ltd or an umbrella.
    So you also get tapped for the employer ni even if you work through a ltd co as a sole trader? I thought not having to pay employer ni was one of the advantages of going ltd co.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    One more thought, why don't agencies/clients insist on paying all their contractors via umbrellas rather than ltd co's if it saves them employers ni?
    From a client/agent POV it makes no difference if you use your own Ltd or an umbrella.

Leave a comment:

• bikeman
    replied
    One more thought, why don't agencies/clients insist on paying all their contractors via umbrellas rather than ltd co's if it saves them employers ni?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X