• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wipro consultancy rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having had the "pleasure" of working via HCL once. I ditto the escape methods described above.

If you need the work, fine but do it with your eyes wide open. Otherwise, don't.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Having had the "pleasure" of working via HCL once. I ditto the escape methods described above.

If you need the work, fine but do it with your eyes wide open. Otherwise, don't.
      I just want to add to this, that if you need the work, it's one thing. As in, you need money for food. If you can physically survive otherwise, just don't do it yourself. I spent a week with HCL as a favour to someone else and they were really starting to push my buttons. Not particularly nice people, not nice places and not nice companies - genuinely grim - I'd rather work at KFC.
      Last edited by vwdan; 1 December 2016, 14:42.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        I just want to add to this, that if you need the work, it's one thing. As in, you need money for food. If you can physically survive otherwise, just don't do it yourself. I spent a week with HCL as a favour to someone else and they were really starting to push my buttons. Not particularly nice people, not nice places and not nice companies - genuinely grim - I'd rather work at KFC.
        I've heard KFC are a top employer. They allow you to go home to sleep...
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          I just want to add to this, that if you need the work, it's one thing. As in, you need money for food. If you can physically survive otherwise, just don't do it yourself.
          Don't need the work to "survive" - I'd be taking days out from my current contract to deliver the consultancy days. The main reason for wanting to do it is to get in with the vendor for future opportunities.

But, the advice on this thread is only going one way - I really didn't expect it to be that bad ! (The client site is fairly local to me - probably a little further than a bargepole's length ;-)

Will have a chat with the client chap tomorrow and see if I can extract what's going on there. But I am shying away from this now, and hopeful that with the vendor's experience of working with the client, they won't hold it against me...

Comment

Don't expect to get paid on time either..

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
              Don't need the work to "survive" - I'd be taking days out from my current contract to deliver the consultancy days. The main reason for wanting to do it is to get in with the vendor for future opportunities.

But, the advice on this thread is only going one way - I really didn't expect it to be that bad ! (The client site is fairly local to me - probably a little further than a bargepole's length ;-)

Will have a chat with the client chap tomorrow and see if I can extract what's going on there. But I am shying away from this now, and hopeful that with the vendor's experience of working with the client, they won't hold it against me...
              They will be all over you like a rash to try and make you fail.
              The thing is if you spend a lot of time in India and get to know people, its all part of the game. Nice people, but have always been very sharp in business and I'm not just talking IT.

It could actually wreck your chances of future business there.

The reason it is one sided as most of us have either managed or worked with multi vendor off shore teams.

In fact, we were just having a laugh at lunch today about when I landed a fellow contractor, who was lunching with us, with managing a TCS team, as it would be "good experience for him."

After 6 weeks, or so, the guy was running at a dangerous temperature, as I am really a friend, I had to say to the MD that the only deliverable they had managed, in 6 weeks, was to piss off one of my best guys.

We got given budget for more 2 onshore people, of our choosing, obviously the irony of being able to replace 6 with 2 is not lost, so it all worked out in the end
              Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 1 December 2016, 18:41.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I worked through Wipro on an all in rate of €800pd (based in Netherlands). They paid on time, but their payment system was the most antiquated I've ever seen. They were OKish tbf, but I'd never work for them again. Life's too short, and while I personally don't have an ideological to opposition offshore outsourcing, many of the other comments about Indianisms definitely are true. Life's too short IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                  I worked through Wipro on an all in rate of €800pd (based in Netherlands). They paid on time, but their payment system was the most antiquated I've ever seen. They were OKish tbf, but I'd never work for them again. Life's too short, and while I personally don't have an ideological to opposition offshore outsourcing, many of the other comments about Indianisms definitely are true. Life's too short IMO.
                  Point being, I find all sorts of people regardless of nationality and I have worked with nearly all, a pain in the harris, that's the way it goes.
                  At least you got a good rate and got paid on time
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                    Mixing the Dutch and wipro would be a perfect storm in my book. Working for the Dutch almost killed me. Lovely people but my Christ asking them to fix stuff that the paying client was about to sue us for was like asking to murder their first born

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

In fact, we were just having a laugh at lunch today about when I landed a fellow contractor, who was lunching with us, with managing a TCS team, as it would be "good experience for him."

After 6 weeks, or so, the guy was running at a dangerous temperature, as I am really a friend, I had to say to the MD that the only deliverable they had managed, in 6 weeks, was to piss off one of my best guys.
                      <insert favourite provider here> staff. Can't work with them, not allowed to hit them over the head with a shovel and bury them in shallow grave in a remote spot.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X