• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help finding next Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help finding next Contract

Hi All,
    Im not exactly new to contracting - been doing it for 10 years, mainly central Government experience, some blue chip clients doing PMO/Lead type work.

I finished my last role about 5 weeks ago. I see a lot of positions advertised, apply and proactively chase agencies. 9 times out of 10 I get put forward but nowadays have to go through the Capita CL1 framework with a good number of these (buzzword gateway before CV goes to hiring manager). This is where my applications stall. Either clients taking too long to make a decision or Capita reject CV (which is hard to believe in most cases as I tailor it to the role but have to accept) or role suddenly is not as urgent (especially the case with government depts). My CV has PMO, project delivery and planning roles and I'm also security cleared to a respectable level. I don't tend to apply with my CV to every role Id like to do either

Im quite proactive in my search, use linkedin extensively/update profile regularly, happy to pick up phone and also contact old employers/past colleagues, recruitment agency contacts, review/re-review CV constantly, actively looking for and attending networking events.

What else do I need to do to get a contract quicker nowadays? Ive been in a four year contract a couple of years back and since finished that feel its harder to land the next one.

Does anyone have experience of the CL! framework? If so, what are your views on it?

Is it normally to be out of work for 5 weeks at a time?

Id welcome any advice or comments on this.

Thanks and regards,
    Jas

Does anyone have experience of the CL! framework? If so, what are your views on it?
    Do you have any idea at all what is about to hit the public sector come April 17?

Is it normally to be out of work for 5 weeks at a time?
    Yep. Nothing unusual about this. We've got people on here posting with a couple of months on bench and counting.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Do you have any idea at all what is about to hit the public sector come April 17?

Yep. Nothing unusual about this. We've got people on here posting with a couple of months on bench and counting.
      I've been told by a mate whose in the PS that so long at they were outside IR35 before April 17 nothing will change

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        I've been told by a mate whose in the PS that so long at they were outside IR35 before April 17 nothing will change
        He's wrong.

I wonder if HMRC will start going after the low hanging fruit of just investigating PS contractors knowing that they'll be easier to collar for IR35 dues that non-PS contractors may be 'safer' from IR35 investigations for a while?
        Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Lots of people don't believe it's going to happen or they won't be affected etc etc. There are quite a few roles on offer at the moment in Home Office and similar; I know a few people who have started roles in the last month or so. One of my friends thinks the government are going to step back from the brink. They may be right but I'm not planning on sticking around to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
            Lots of people don't believe it's going to happen or they won't be affected etc etc. There are quite a few roles on offer at the moment in Home Office and similar; I know a few people who have started roles in the last month or so. One of my friends thinks the government are going to step back from the brink. They may be right but I'm not planning on sticking around to find out.
            You probably only have to wait 2 days. The Autumn statement will either confirm or scrap the plans. Unless it's already been through a finance bill but I don't think it has.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
              He's wrong.

I wonder if HMRC will start going after the low hanging fruit of just investigating PS contractors knowing that they'll be easier to collar for IR35 dues that non-PS contractors may be 'safer' from IR35 investigations for a while?
              Slip knows that. He was making the point that even people working in the PS now don't have a clue. To be fair his mate knowing this is even coming puts him ahead of most PS guys.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                You probably only have to wait 2 days. The Autumn statement will either confirm or scrap the plans. Unless it's already been through a finance bill but I don't think it has.
                3 days. This is a detail item rather than a house of commons announcement so it may take a day or 2 after the statement before it appears...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That's true, but I suspect a lot of contractors only thought they were outside IR35.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Can't really talk about the Capita framework, but:

5 weeks is nothing. That can happen in a good market (although by most accounts it isn't a good market at the moment.

By all means use Jobserve but unless you have some seriously in demand skills it is a lottery. Concentrate on contacts and networking.

Comment

Working...
                    X