• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BN66 - Time to fight back: Continued

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else noticed that Jane Kennedy has been promoted to become Minister of State at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, as of 5 October? Just in time before it all kicks off

Comment

Originally posted by MuddyFunster View Post
      Anyone else noticed that Jane Kennedy has been promoted to become Minister of State at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, as of 5 October? Just in time before it all kicks off
      Another case of promotion beyond the level of incompetence. Interesting that you get promoted to manage the health and welfare of wildlife but its open season on destroying the families and habitats of contractors.

Can we look forward to the retrospective application of some of the climate change rules?
      Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
      "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Well I have heard a rumour that she's already noticed a mistake in their tax legislation. It previously said that any chicken born with two heads was liable to extra taxation due to some sort of "double tax treaty". She's very cleverly realised the two should've been a 1 and are now taxing every chicken born with one head since 1987, because that's what it should've been all along.

Comment

Tomorrow in the Royal Courts there is a hearing of

COURT 67
          Before MR JUSTICE WILKIE
          Friday 10 October, 2008
          At half past 10
          Applications for Permission
          CO/1665/2007 The Queen on the application of Davies v HM Revenue & Customs

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/list_admin.htm

Could this be the JR ? This is the first action v HMRC that has been in this court for some weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by twinkle View Post

COURT 67
            Before MR JUSTICE WILKIE
            Friday 10 October, 2008
            At half past 10

Could this be the JR ? This is the first action v HMRC that has been in this court for some weeks.

No its not. The JR is not applied for yet. Then needs to be listed. Then will be heard - could take up to 3 months! We only see the day before.....

Comment

Originally posted by twinkle View Post

COURT 67
              Before MR JUSTICE WILKIE
              Friday 10 October, 2008
              At half past 10

First of all it would be extremely unlikely that the JR could get listed that quickly. Secondly, even though there is little precedent to get excited about I would like to think we would have heard about it from MP.

Finally, and not an authority on this, it is not HMRC that makes law and therefore I do not believe that the case would be listed against them? The listing reference appears to indicate something hanging over from 2007.

However, I shake Mr Davies' hand, for standing up to the HMRC bully boys and to his obvious determination to have his day in Court.
              "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
                However, I shake Mr Davies' hand, for standing up to the HMRC bully boys and to his obvious determination to have his day in Court.
                <puts on tin hat>
                We have been treated unfairly - does not mean everyone has. My ex told lots of stories about companies taking the p**s. I bet we all know contractors who have claimed personal expenses via companies - new kitchens etcetc.
                </puts on tin hat>

I will never understand why HMRC did not close the scheme as soon as tax returns for the scheme came in.

On the other hand - I salute Mr Davies for taking up HMRC time and dividing their resources.

Comment

Its a sad day that we need to wear tin hats to speak the truth.

Comment

Closure notices

I have just telephoned my tax office and they said that there were not going to send any closure notices out until the JR has established a position in court.

Perhaps other tax offices are sending them out anyway.

I though I'd let you know in case some of you were holding your breath !

Comment

Closure Notice

Received mine today - ugly. No funds to pay it with, no chance of remortaging or selling the family home. Seems fair to say that you only appreciate the true injustice of this retrospective legislation when you receive the fictional bill.

Have never been violent but I can think of a good number of reasons to start. No wonder Hector's House seldom carries a nameplate. This is frolicking robbery.

A sad note that we could kick out one Afghan family in Ealing for 1 year to recover the claim being made here for many years' work. I'm British and work, they're not and don't. What am I missing? Why should I stay? Get asylum in Afghanistan and come back as a refugee?

Off to MP with the paperwork.

Comment

Working...
                      X