• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Director / Conflict of interests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Director / Conflict of interests

Morning. This is my first post but I hope you can help.

I'm a director of a company with 4 other people who have equal shares. Without going into too much detail we work with a number of clients who pay us to carry out work for them as part of their contracts with us. All of us work with various different clients.

However one business partner and fellow director has recently been working very closely with a client to the point where they've offered him a role within their business. This would mean that not only will she leave the business to go work for them but we'll also lose the contract we had with them as well and all the money and work that came with that.

I just wanted to check whether this is deemed as a conflict of interests or is there anything that can be done here as they are effectively taking business/money away from the company.

Thanks

Gary

Originally posted by Garyfable View Post
    I'm a director of a company with 4 other people who have equal shares. Without going into too much detail we work with a number of clients who pay us to carry out work for them as part of their contracts with us. All of us work with various different clients.

However one business partner and fellow director has recently been working very closely with a client to the point where they've offered him a role within their business. This would mean that not only will she leave the business to go work for them but we'll also lose the contract we had with them as well and all the money and work that came with that.

I just wanted to check whether this is deemed as a conflict of interests or is there anything that can be done here as they are effectively taking business/money away from the company.

Yes it's a conflict of interest. But unless you have some contracts between the directors there's not a lot you can do.
    Most consultancies protect themselves with very restrictive covenants for directors. Unlike normal employees, a covenant restricting a director can be far more restrictive and over a far longer timescale.
    You probably need legal advice immediately. And potentially a cease and desist letter sent to the other director, but only if you have a leg to stand on.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Definitely legal advice, as even ignoring conflict of interests regarding the work for that specific client you now have a director and shareholder of the company that is presumably not going to do any work for the company but still entitled to 1/4 of the dividends distributed, which I assume the other 3 of us are not going to be happy about.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        Definitely legal advice, as even ignoring conflict of interests regarding the work for that specific client you now have a director and shareholder of the company that is presumably not going to do any work for the company but still entitled to 1/4 of the dividends distributed, which I assume the other 3 of us are not going to be happy about.
        their fiduciary responsibilities may also have some bearing here.
        Time to get lawyered up.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

This should probably be sticked as a 'why you shouldn't mix business with mates' thread.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            This should probably be sticked as a 'why you shouldn't mix business with mates' thread.
            Totally this. 4 individuals does not a business make. Can't see how these setups would end any other way.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Garyfable View Post
              Morning. This is my first post but I hope you can help.

Thanks

Gary
              This scenario should either be covered in your company Articles, a separate Shareholder Agreement or a Director's employment contract.

If it is not specifically covered, then there may not be much you can do.

Go read the legal documents you all signed or get a lawyer to read them for you and then advise.

Comment

A bit late now, but your contracts with clients should include a "no poaching" clause

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Totally this. 4 individuals does not a business make. Can't see how these setups would end any other way.
                  Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                  Where does he say they are mates? Isn't it just 4 people starting a business together?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Where does he say they are mates? Isn't it just 4 people starting a business together?
                    Where did I say they were mates? I've seen threads where people are talking about getting their mates in as subbies/using their companies to help out mates who aren't full blown contractors/employing their wives/kids/parents....

Just pointing out that this is what can go wrong.
                    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
                    X