• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Confused Newbie regarding 24 month rule (yes another one)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    If the travel costs are not allowable under HMRC rules then there is no right for the expense to be claimed via the umbrella or via SA
    So you think that the OP's situation is caught by the 24-month rule?

Originally posted by Scottt View Post
    The work involves a lot of travel as I cover most of the uk and Ireland and I normally spend between 1 and 2 days at any given site (I go and do work on other company's premises to deliver my company's product)
    Originally posted by Scottt View Post
    To give an example I could be in Newcastle on Monday, Aberdeen on Wednesday and Manchester on Thursday.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
      So you think that the OP's situation is caught by the 24-month rule?
      The contracts will now cover a 36 month period - without knowing full details of his travel so I could determine whether or not 40% of his time was spent at more than one location over any 24 month period I would not be able to say for certain.
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        The contracts will now cover a 36 month period - without knowing full details of his travel so I could determine whether or not 40% of his time was spent at more than one location over any 24 month period I would not be able to say for certain.
        I'll just go back to my original point - if your employer will not pay your expenses, then whether they are right or not is a moot point. If they are wrong, then you claim it back via your self assessment. If they aren't, then you don't claim it back.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
          I'll just go back to my original point - if your employer will not pay your expenses, then whether they are right or not is a moot point. If they are wrong, then you claim it back via your self assessment. If they aren't, then you don't claim it back.
          OK
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

In an employment situation, then a claim will depend upon the employers expenses policy and if the policy isn’t in line with HMRC’s legislation then it can be sorted out via self-assessment.

In the case of an umbrella company, where the purpose of the umbrella is to pay the contractor and to do it in a manner that is compliant with HMRC – working through an umbrella is ideal for somebody that doesn’t want to involve themselves with tax returns so the umbrella company should align their policies to HMRC’s legislation.

That is only my opinion of course...

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
              the umbrella company should align their policies to HMRC’s legislation.
              This is probably one of the few situations where an employee can sack their employer if they don't like the way they operate.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I am going to phone the umbrella company today as I get paid today so have nothing outstanding with them, if they don't align their policies to HMRC’s legislation, I will find a company that does.
                Scott

Comment

Working...
                X