• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

Hi Everyone,

I've been a contractor since February 2012 (my first job), I have been on PAYE since I started but in April 2013 I switched to an umbrella company. I'm not sure if I would benefit from switching to a LTD Company even though I'm on an hourly rate.

Anyways, I look forward to learning more about contracting from you helpful bunch.

You might be better off with a ltd. Consult the sidebar ---> pick some accountants and use the calculators.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Manz View Post
      Hi Everyone,

I've been a contractor since February 2012 (my first job), I have been on PAYE since I started but in April 2013 I switched to an umbrella company. I'm not sure if I would benefit from switching to a LTD Company even though I'm on an hourly rate.

Anyways, I look forward to learning more about contracting from you helpful bunch.
      Sounds like you were basically a Temp worker to begin with, rather than a contractor. There is a point at which Ltd becomes more efficient that a Brolly but I cant fnd the relevent posts.

If you ask the question in the Business/Accounting forum you'll get the appropriate answer.

Once you know that you can start reading the stuff in the side bar and decide if it's worth it for you or not.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The cut off is somewhere in the mid 30k to early 40k before it becomes worth going LTD...

Just a note if you were on PAYE before and now you are with a brolly you will still be on PAYE will you not?

Confused about your work history though. How can you go contracting with a year's experience?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Confused about your work history though. How can you go contracting with no experience?
          FTFY:
          I've been a contractor since February 2012 (my first job)
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            FTFY:
            What is that supposed to prove? We are questioning if he was a temp first not a contractor. He also states he has been a contractor in his first job. How did he get a contract gig with no work experience? Not sure what FTFY fixed for me there.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi Everyone,

a very warm welcome. Please make sure you complete the CUK-general welcome questionaire....

Comment

What is that supposed to prove? We are questioning if he was a temp first not a contractor. He also states he has been a contractor in his first job. How did he get a contract gig with no work experience? Not sure what FTFY fixed for me there.
                It started as an initial 3 month contract, which was then extended for 3 months and so on up till now, I'm still with the same company, I was on PAYE with my agency when I first joined because they asked me about joining an umbrella or going LTD, but as I was new to this I just kept it to the simplest option at the time and chose PAYE with the agency. Then in April this year when my contract was extended, they asked if I would like to switch to an umbrella company or go LTD, so I switched to the umbrella company. They recently extended me again in July till the end of December this year.

Comment

What is that supposed to prove? We are questioning if he was a temp first not a contractor. He also states he has been a contractor in his first job. How did he get a contract gig with no work experience?
                  Exactly. He didn't have a years experience (your quote) when he started contracting.

Not sure what FTFY fixed for me there.
                  I changed your "year" (which he didn't have) to "no" which he did.

HTH
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X