• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another newbie saying hello

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another newbie saying hello

Hi,

I've been reading CUK for a while but now have a question to post so thought I had better register and introduce myself. I guess I'm a "pretirement" contractor. I was a wage slave for thirty odd years, in IT in the pharmaceutical industry, took redundancy at age 50 and worked for a Big Four for four years before deciding that I could be doing the same kind of consulting working for myself; charging the client a much lower daily rate but getting to keep more. Now in my second year of trading and third six-month contract; I did a year at the first client and now in my fourth month with the second. So far, it all seems to be going well and I'm finding that only having to worry about my own utilisation and revenue generation is a lot less stress than having to make sure my team hit sales, revenue and utilisation targets at the Big Four.

Steve

I took voluntary redundancy at 45 and stated contracting after a few years of rather crap jobs. Much more fun generally, being in new places every 6 months to a year.

Anyway, good luck, now off to general boy and learn how to call people cretins and moan about Brexit constantly! You will be required to pass an exam after 6 months.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

A very warm welcome.

Who are the big four? Is this gay saunas?

Comment

And stop signing your posts with your name.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          And stop signing your posts with your name.
          Yeah.. +1 to this.

SueEllen
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Yeah.. +1 to this.
            WHS

northernladuk

Comment

Steve sounds like a made up name. Conjours up images of a 70's lothario with a bugger handle moustache

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Steve sounds like a made up name. Conjours up images of a 70's lothario with a bugger handle moustache
                His real name is Nigel. At least Steve is better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Nigel the dog

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Won't be able to say that soon. I was shocked to find out that not one baby was named Nigel last year and only 2 this year. I know thought it was a pretty mainstream name but it appears it's on the verge of extinction.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X