• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie hello

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie hello

Morning all.

I've been lurking on these boards for a few days as it's a bit quiet at ClientCo, so thought I'd sign up and maybe offer up some advice of my own.

I'm a front-end web developer, but also do some UX and design where I can.

I've been contracting about 18 months now, glad I did it although working away from home at the moment which isn't ideal. Also had a 3 month or so stint on the bench before I got this gig, but this one is paying well, so should make up for that.

Hello Newbie
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
      Newbie hello
      Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Hello Newbie
      Newbie, hello!
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Newbie, hello!
        Newbie hello?

Comment

Welcome. Where are you working away and where are you based? Is there much of a rate difference? I've found London to be the only gigs worth taking when I'm away.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Hello.. Just make sure that the gig you are on also makes up for the next 3 months on the bench and so on.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Welcome. Where are you working away and where are you based? Is there much of a rate difference? I've found London to be the only gigs worth taking when I'm away.
              I probably couldn't tell you without giving away the client company as they're the only big employer here, but they're a large organisation with a big operation away from any major cities, so have to pa. I'm based near Liverpool, it's a 2 hour (at best) drive, so it's just a bit too far to commute each day. I'm away 3 nights and WFH on a Friday, so it's not too bad. It's harder for the wife as she has to look after the 2 kids on those days.

In my line of work, there's a lot of reasonably paid gigs in Manchester. £300 to £350 is fairly standard, but paying £400+ isn't uncommon if you have the right skills. I was earning £300-350 in my first few gigs, but much more than that now.

The government websites are all being upgraded and they're happening in existing offices, so HMRC in Newcastle, DWP in Leeds that I know of. All in all, a lot of things happening in this space all over the country.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Hello.. Just make sure that the gig you are on also makes up for the next 3 months on the bench and so on.
                Indeed. The time I had off was partially planned as the end of my contract coincided with the due date my 2nd child. It just went on for a fair bit longer than I wanted.

Bit of a wake up call as I went from one gig to another to another quite easily (I didn't even interview for one, and the one I'm in now was just a phone interview).

Comment

Working...
                X