• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruitment Agency Issue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recruitment Agency Issue

Hi,

Im a newbie to contract work so please excuse me if I ask or state something obvious or stupid.

Im a experienced solicitor who is just getting back into work after a period away on maternity. Ive secured a new job on a adhoc basis which suits my situation at present.

My issue is with the recruitment agency. The only thing they have done in the process is provided my CV to the hirer but since then they have been absent aside from giving me conflicting information about pay rates.

Through discussions, i have identified they are taking about 45% of my hourly rate which is a bitter pill to swallow for a couple of reasons.

1. it feels like they've done nothing for me to support me in the process
    2. This is my first role which is not a permanent contract and cant get my head around how they can take so much for what theyve contributed so far and will do in the future.

The question is what my options are in terms of getting a better deal out of this. I have not signed any contract with the agency and I get the impression that the hirer is also new to this agency.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The agency don't sit, just waiting for clients to send their requirements. They have to actively market themselves, and do a lot of legwork to find the jobs they offer. So they've done already rather more than just send your CV over. They also pay you before they get paid, so provide a factoring service.

Are you PAYE with the agency?

As a solicitor, presumably you are aware that if you start work you will be deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions (i.e. the rate) regardless of whether you've signed anything. You have implicitly accepted the contract. While you might not have a written contract with any kind of handcuff clause, your client most certainly will, so going directly with them or using another agency will not be an option.

They take 45% because they can. Some say "who cares so long as you get the rate you want", but if the client thinks they're paying for £100 an hour's worth of work, and the worker thinks they're only being paid for £55 an hour's worth of work, you can see high margins can lead to difficulties.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Have you asked your solicitor?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X