• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Difficult second album

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficult second album

Hi, I made the jump from perm to contracting last year and have managed to get two extensions in my current role (get me eh!). Now though I'm getting rather frustrated on the project that I'm working (client co cannot sort out their contracts with 3rd party suppliers meaning my streams are largely on hold) and am considering what to do next.

My contract will run out at the end of May which will take me to 7 months here and despite the issues mentioned above I'm almost certain that another extension will be offered.

So my question really comes down to how would this duration look to future clients? Is it really that beneficial sucking it up and staying on a project that I'm not really learning on or delivering much simply to show staying power/ability to keep a client happy? Or if I manage to get an alternative role for after May (or maybe even before using my notice) should I take it on the assumption that I can then show the ability to get contracts, and hopefully deliver more assuming the next client co doesn't have similar issues?

They probably won't care. As long as you can do the gig they want and pass the interview its fairly irrelevant.

For what it's worth I wouldn't be walking away from a first gig just because it's a messy project. Let that slip and you'll never get a gig. Also your war chest is number one priority. When it's at a good 6 months plus then I might think about it.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 12 March 2015, 10:30.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No Harm in looking. Thats one of the advantages of contratcing, if you are fed up up where you are you can move on.

I'd get your CV out there at the end of April and see what happens. If nothing else it will give you a feel for the market. If you get a bite and land a new gig then great, if you dont and an extension is offered, you've lost nothing. You don't need to tell client co. anything about it.

What I wouldnt do at this stage is to leave without getting something else lined up first. As NLUK said, you need to focus on the warchest for now and get at least 6 months living costs in the bank before you consider ditching a paying gig without having something else to go to.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The second contract could be harder to find than the first - you have a better idea of your worth, you have different expectations, you might be pickier over location etc. - than you were when you just wanted to get away from a permie job into the contracting world.

It doesn't hurt to tart up the CV and see what's around nearer the end of the contract - if you find something, then great you take that because you don't like it where you are; if you don't find anything then you take the extension if it's offered.

I wouldn't turn down an extension with nothing to go to, unless you have the money lying around to keep you in the manner to which you have become accustomed. The one time I turned down an extension, it took me seven months to get the next role, and you don't want to be in that situation.

Good luck with however it turns out.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
        X