• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies more and more enforcing their own choice of Umbrellas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chineseJohn View Post
    I've landed an Inside IR35 contract I found myself, I have to go via the Umbrella route.
    The agency I have found, yes I'm doing this in reverse order, is saying I can only go via PSL route due to "audit issues in the past".
    I have an Umbrella option available (FCSA accredited) without additional charge via my accountants obviously I don't want to pay for an umbrella.
    Unlikely as that tends to mean they get kick backs from the ones they have.
    I've found another agency who allow me to use my own Umbrella, unless the original one backs down.
    Good result but how did you manage to find a client taking on inside IR35 contractors without an agent being contracted to the client. You sure might get your preferred one engaged and the PSL one comes out of nowhere and screws it all up for you? Sounds like a really strange situation.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Unlikely as that tends to mean they get kick backs from the ones they have.
      That's what I was thinking, I found it ridiculous. It's been 5 years since I've had to deal with agencies, last contract was direct outside IR35, hence my "sheltered" life.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Good result but how did you manage to find a client taking on inside IR35 contractors without an agent being contracted to the client. You sure might get your preferred one engaged and the PSL one comes out of nowhere and screws it all up for you? Sounds like a really strange situation.
      I hope I've understood what you're asking.
      I was contacted out by an ex-manager I worked with previously with. As the role was confirmed as inside IR35, I asked does the organisation have a PSL agency which they don't, the CTO said to ex-manager to tell me find the agency that has the lowest margin. The list of RM6160 agenies is over 80 long, so I asked a friend to give me a name of agency. The PSL of umbrella is new to me, as I didn't have this issue 5 years on my last inside IR35 assignment.

Anyway I've told end-client to put the agency stuff on hold, and I've told the agency this. I also told the agency on Friday afternoon, I am looking for another agency who'll deal with my umbrella, I'm sure there are plenty out there who will.

Comment

Originally posted by chineseJohn View Post
        The PSL of umbrella is new to me, as I didn't have this issue 5 years on my last inside IR35 assignment.
        Unfortunately it is getting worse as the months progress!

Comment

Working...
        X