• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses question

I've just landed a new inside contract, my first, after the last two being outside.

Whilst the role is remote, I will need to travel to site roughly every month, on a fairly expensive train line it would seem. If this was outside, I'd be claiming as expenses. The new client won't cover the expenses for travel, which isn't ideal but actually isn't a deal breaker for me.

Is it possible to claim this expense some other way? Via my own Ltd Co or otherwise?

Originally posted by ForBajor View Post
    I've just landed a new inside contract, my first, after the last two being outside.

Whilst the role is remote, I will need to travel to site roughly every month, on a fairly expensive train line it would seem. If this was outside, I'd be claiming as expenses. The new client won't cover the expenses for travel, which isn't ideal but actually isn't a deal breaker for me.

Is it possible to claim this expense some other way? Via my own Ltd Co or otherwise?
    Sadly no - for inside IR35 contracts travelling for commuting purposes isn't tax deductible.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Sadly no - for inside IR35 contracts travelling for commuting purposes isn't tax deductible.
      I share the sadness. Thanks for the reply

Comment

Might have been worth understanding this before you signed the contract. This one might not have been a deal breaker in this instance but having a proper understanding of what you are getting in to is essential. Signing contracts without a full grasp of the finances isn't going to end well at some point. What else is there that you don't you know that is going to be an issue?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X