• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non UK Resident

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non UK Resident

Hi All,

This is my first post here, I hope that I'm clear about what I'm saying, I'd really appreciate any advice.

I have worked as an employee for 11 years for a UK based company. However, I moved to Mexico in December for personal reasons and have been working remotely most of the time.

My plan is to spend approximately 70-80% of my time in Mexico and the remainder in the UK. Whilst in the UK I will take "annual leave" but also be doing some work for the UK company.

I am told by my employer that I will need to invoice as a Mexican contractor for my remote working in Mexico and through an umbrella company for my time in the UK.

I'm struggling to find an umbrella company who will talk to me about this, the main issue being my non-resident status.

There must be a solution to this!

Does anyone have any experience of this? If I've not been clear, please say and I'll provide more information.

Please note, I'm not trying to avoid paying tax or NI on any UK income, I just want to stay on the right side of the law but live in the country where my partner lives.

Thank you

Speak to Sue B who knows alot about the offshore side of it.

Make sure you get your terminology right though. If you are through an umbrella they are your employer. If you are a contractor supplying services then they are your client.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you are working in Mexico although you working for a UK company you should be working through a Mexican company. You should do a search for international Umbrella companies that operate worldwide and cater for remote workers. You will need to be registered in the UK for the 20% of the time you work in the UK and in Mexico for the 80% you work there. You might want to simplify by only working occasional days in the UK which could be considered business trips.

As an alternative work through a Ltd company in the UK and a set up a Mexican company. One possibility is to invoice your UK Ltd company via the Mexican company and invoice your client through the UK company.

If you are living in Mexico you will be obliged to declare your UK income there and it won't be hard for them to figure out your income is a result of working remotely in Mexico, in which case they might not accept that you paid UK tax. It is important to take advice. If you are travelling and working in the UK and paying UK tax keep receipts of plane tickets and proof of residing in the UK.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 10 September 2022, 11:11.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        If you are working in Mexico although you working for a UK company you should be working through a Mexican company. You should do a search for international Umbrella companies that operate worldwide and cater for remote workers. You will need to be registered in the UK for the 20% of the time you work in the UK and in Mexico for the 80% you work there. You might want to simplify by only working occasional days in the UK which could be considered business trips.

As an alternative work through a Ltd company in the UK and a set up a Mexican company. One possibility is to invoice your UK Ltd company via the Mexican company and invoice your client through the UK company.

If you are living in Mexico you will be obliged to declare your UK income there and it won't be hard for them to figure out your income is a result of working remotely in Mexico, in which case they might not accept that you paid UK tax. It is important to take advice. If you are travelling and working in the UK and paying UK tax keep receipts of plane tickets and proof of residing in the UK.
        Hello, I just started working with the same scheme, from a EU country. Opened an UK LTD company and invoiced by UK client with that LTD. I am the director of this LTD, leaving abroad. Have a couple of questions:

1. My company will pay a tax of 19% of its profits right? Where profits = gross paid - expenses (dividends excluded)
        2. I will not get any salary from my LTD as I am leaving abroad
        3. I can only get paid by dividends
        4. These dividends will be taxed in UK or in my residency country?
        5. If I open a second LTD in my residency, lets name it res-LTD, can I invoice my UK-LTD (as you suggested) and with what reason provided? Are there any limitations on the amount or the type of servises, or the persons involved? (eg to be considered as invalid as I will be the owner of both LTDs)
        6. If there is no amount limitation, and I invoice everything from res-LTD to UK-LTD, then my res-LTD company will have to pay the associated company taxes in my residency country right?
        7. If I split the amount to 50-50 then both my companies will have to pay tax for the 50% in each country?

Sorry for the many questions, please answer whatever you find it convenient. Every answer will help me make things much clearer

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X