• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella companies and employment issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella companies and employment issues

Hello all,

I am hoping someone can help me with some of the below queries as I am fairly new to working under an Umbrella Company.

Do umbrella companies have to follow all standard employment laws?

Is it ok for them to constantly make admin errors on a weekly basis ranging from not paying me on time, causing issues with holiday pay and always issuing me with a payslip after I have been paid so I have no time to raise any concerns with my pay?

I have raised issues with them where I have had concerns regarding data protection, issues with fees, a conflict of address on payslip/contract however when they respond to my emails they continue to disregard the nature of my questions. As a result I stated I will consider taking legal action if required due to not getting my questions answered and now they have stated they cannot make any further comments until they have spoken to their employment lawyer which is quite concerning as these issues have been on going for over a month.

I don't really want to escalate these issues any further unless I really have to as all I am looking for are answers to some of my queries so I can put my mind at rest.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Is your agency self billing or do you send your timesheets to the umbrella first?

Also wgich umbrella are you working through as there is very little point giving you generic advice..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor2022 View Post

Do umbrella companies have to follow all standard employment laws?

Is it ok for them to constantly make admin errors on a weekly basis ranging from not paying me on time, causing issues with holiday pay and always issuing me with a payslip after I have been paid so I have no time to raise any concerns with my pay?
      None of those issues you mention are comvered by employment laws are they?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It is self billing.

Correct, these issues aren't necessarily employment issues but I can see these turning into them. Technically they are my employment however they show no level of support or care when advising them they are causing me endless amounts of stress. I totally understand this is probably quite normal when dealing with Umbrella companies as they are not really a general employer.

I end up dedicating a fair amount of my own time trying to resolve their issues.

Comment

Dunno about the employment thing but you are also a customer. Let your feet do the walking and go find a brolly you can trust. I'd recommend Clarity Umbrella. Lucy posts a lot on here and has won an award already.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It is self billing.

That's your main issue - the first time the umbrella knows what to pay you and how much will be when the payment arrives...

And the umbrella isn't actually doing that much here that could change things - they receive a certain amount of money input it into a payroll system, that will generate an entry on a BACS file which the umbrella sends to their bank and a pay slip.. Both will be sent within minutes of each other for the obvious reason that they are outputs from the payroll software.

As for being paid on time - that is probably an agency issue - if the agency doesn't pay the umbrella or doesn't provide suitable information the umbrella won't know who to pay...

Correct, these issues aren't necessarily employment issues but I can see these turning into them. Technically they are my employment however they show no level of support or care when advising them they are causing me endless amounts of stress. I totally understand this is probably quite normal when dealing with Umbrella companies as they are not really a general employer.

I end up dedicating a fair amount of my own time trying to resolve their issues.
            But you haven't told us what the actual issues are?

Is the umbrella deducting and keeping holiday pay or is it paying it immediately (so in advance)? - you want it paid immediately / in advance

And what is actually wrong with the payslip or employment cost deductions (as shown on the summary)..

I'm sorry to say this but I haven't got a clue what your actual issue is - knowing the umbrella you are working through would help as it's going to be quicker for me than playing 20 questions....
            Last edited by eek; 1 September 2022, 06:39.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
            X