• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worst Umbrella: Brookson

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst Umbrella: Brookson

Been with them since April last year when I went inside.

Didn't opt me out of the pension as I informed them last year August) so overcharged me a month but then didn't send it on to Aegis at all. Chased for months until December when I went though all of my pay slips only to find out they had been overcharging me (1 month's fees per week !). That was about £1400 that I only got back last week. Finally switched but then had to chase for P45 only to find out they won't issue one until the pension issue is resolved. Told them to forget about the pension and just issue my P45 and still waiting for that.

When they got hacked they still managed to process payroll but didn't generate pay slips for 2 months and when they got them to me they were still overcharging me.

No luck with the P45 so am looking at emergency tax this month. Hopefully the new umbrella will be better.

So I'd advise avoiding Brookson like the plague. I never had this kind of drama when I was outside.

Will be interesting to see if their new owners improve things.
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

I heard a rumour a good wile back that they were on the skids.
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

I have the misfortune to be an "employee" of Brookson for my current engagement, and my experience is that they are utterly incompetent.

My first pay was calculated using the wrong NI thresholds (weekly instead of monthly) which meant that my deductions (NI and PAYE) were wrong, as well as my net pay.

I pointed out the mistake, redid the calculations for them myself using the correct thresholds (I work in banking - it's not that complicated), and asked them to correct the mistake (reissue my payslip, correct their RTI submission to HMRC, pay me what they owed me).

They've spent the last two weeks fobbing me off, lying to me, and now ignoring me. I've given them until the end of this week to resolve the situation but I don't expect it to happen. I'll be serving notice on Friday evening and looking for a new umbrella over the weekend.

The frustrating thing is that I'm paying them £90/month to process one invoice and make one RTI submission, which I could do myself in ten minutes, and they can't even get that right.

Incidentally, is there any way of reporting a company to HMRC for deducting too much NI? I've not been able to find any information on it. Surely it must be illegal?

Comment

Originally posted by CatBlack View Post
          Incidentally, is there any way of reporting a company to HMRC for deducting too much NI? I've not been able to find any information on it. Surely it must be illegal?
          Its correct for the period they have reported it in….
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Its correct for the period they have reported it in….
            Yeah, because they've reported it for the wrong period, because they are morons.

Comment

They were hacked in December 2021 early January 2022, the fall out was insane. A quick look at Trust Pilot will tell the story of what happened, but basically hundreds of contractors didn't get paid for over three months. Whilst the hack could arguably not be their fault, their response was dreadful.

Comment

Yeah, because they've reported it for the wrong period, because they are morons.
                The income tax will fix itself on your next payment (well on subsequent payments until March).

The NI issue really isn't that big - it's less than their monthly fee so ask for it to be refunded in cash.
                Last edited by eek; 4 August 2022, 11:18.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  The NI issue really isn't that big - it's less than their monthly fee so ask for it to be refunded in cash.
                  No, I want it fixing. If I'm going to pay somebody to do something I can easily do myself, I expect it to be done correctly.

Comment

No, I want it fixing. If I'm going to pay somebody to do something I can easily do myself, I expect it to be done correctly.
                    You can't however do it yourself because you are their employee...

Also, unless they do it tomorrow it won't be possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X