• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to turn with Umbrella issues?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to turn with Umbrella issues?

Hi all,

I have been reading a lot of the posts on here about all the issues people are having with Umbrella companies. Apart from this forum where do people turn?

I have a payslip that I want someone to check and not sure where to ask. Any advice?

Also has anyone got experience of changing umbrella companies mid contract?

Thanks,
    ​​​​​​CT

What's the issue. If it's because the figures don't look right Clarity's website has a calculator that should tell you what the tax deductions should be...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It's more complex as have started pushing money into a pension plan. The figures look roughly right but I think they are slightly out. I do not think the umbrella company understands the system they have implemented to create payslips. When you ask a question it's hard to get a decent answer. It's hard to know how to address it.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisTruby View Post
        It's more complex as have started pushing money into a pension plan. The figures look roughly right but I think they are slightly out. I do not think the umbrella company understands the system they have implemented to create payslips. When you ask a question it's hard to get a decent answer. It's hard to know how to address it.
        That was the reason I pointed you at clarity as it allows you to enter the actual figure after the pension deduction.

So £3000 with 20% going into your pension you enter a figure of 3000-600 = £2400

Umbrella payslips have a habit of being complex due to issues such as holidays rollup....

But the reality is that they should be simple to understand so phone up the umbrella and ask them to explain what each figure is for.

Comment

Have tried but I need more variables and they have a fixed fee on their calculations.

Comment

Happy to have a look if you want to send it over to me Chris

Comment

lucyclarityumbrella I think after a lot of thought I figured it out. Payroll is not something I'm hugely familiar with.

So the umbrella company has bulked my weekly timesheets into one week. As they were submitted in the same week as I was still checking my p45 was correct I was delayed in submission.

They charged me per week their charges but I believe due to them bulking it all into one week I've paid more NI as lost one weeks allowance.

Although am not sure if I'm wrong on this one?!?! Thoughts are very much appreciated!

Comment

I guess the umbrella company works on 1 timesheet = 1 fee but yes all income received in the same NI period (week / month) will be paid in that period with only that period's NI allowances used.

But if all you've lost is a single weeks allowance it's only about £10 you've lost so not the biggest mistake.

Comment

OK so my thinking is correct then. I just could not work out how they got their figures. I think I've paid £42 over but as you say it's not the end of the world in the grand scheme of things. It is really understanding how they work things out as I want to keep an eye on it all.

I know I'm very wary of umbrella companies after running my own Ltd for 20 years but for me the way things are there are a lot more options workwise using an umbrella right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisTruby View Post
                    lucyclarityumbrella I think after a lot of thought I figured it out.
                    Glad you've sorted it

Comment

Working...
                    X