• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Companies - a definition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella Companies - a definition

Hello there ,
    Could anyone say what an umbrella company is from the End-Client or Agency point of view . ie if you say that you're an umbrella company how can that be proved ?

Thanks , K

A good umbrella would be one that followed the FCSA Code of Compliance.

You can find more details here: Codes of Compliance • Accredited Members • FCSA FCSA
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

There is no legal definition, but this link may help.

Comment

This has been written elsewhere, and may be germane to this thread as well...

1. Use an FCSA member/compliant company
        2. Use one that charges a flat fee, not a percentage of day rate
        3. Use one that allows proper salary sacrifice for pension contributions (many only offer the legal minimum of around 5%)
        4. Use one that offers around 60% of gross take home: any more than that and they are cheating somewhere and it's your liability.
        5. Run away very quickly from any that offer loans, expenses, deferred payments or any other variation.
        6. Run away from any that don't offer an immediate, detailed breakdown - ideally a sample payslip - against your rate and tax position

Lots of cowboys out there, so take care
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Just for the record, can I state that an umbrella company can still be compliant without accreditation - just saying
          Just means that a little more due diligence should happen.

Comment

It also shows that people can’t just turn around to their client/agency and say “I’m an Umbrella company now “...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              This has been written elsewhere, and may be germane to this thread as well...

1. Use an FCSA member/compliant company
              2. Use one that charges a flat fee, not a percentage of day rate
              3. Use one that allows proper salary sacrifice for pension contributions (many only offer the legal minimum of around 5%)
              4. Use one that offers around 60% of gross take home: any more than that and they are cheating somewhere and it's your liability.
              5. Run away very quickly from any that offer loans, expenses, deferred payments or any other variation.
              6. Run away from any that don't offer an immediate, detailed breakdown - ideally a sample payslip - against your rate and tax position

Lots of cowboys out there, so take care
              Hi malvolio

Agreed with most of the above.

However, some compliant umbrellas offer the reimbursement of legitimate expenses too. For example, mileage under AMAPS is perfectly fine for non-SDC, or multi-site, workers.

Thanks

Zeeshan
              Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post
                Hi malvolio

Agreed with most of the above.

However, some compliant umbrellas offer the reimbursement of legitimate expenses too. For example, mileage under AMAPS is perfectly fine for non-SDC, or multi-site, workers.

Thanks

Zeeshan
                Yes i know. But that is the exception; you shouldn't be advertising it as standard practice or including it in illustrations.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                X