• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dispensations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..should I be nervous, having been paid blanket expenses for 2 years (no choice but to select <10hrs a day away from home or >10hrs a day away from home, and the statuatory amount got filled in) but not saved any receipts as I was told I didn't need them..! (it was in writing on their webiste, but the wording has changed)

Hmmmm..

Comment

Originally posted by M@H
      ..should I be nervous, having been paid blanket expenses for 2 years (no choice but to select <10hrs a day away from home or >10hrs a day away from home, and the statuatory amount got filled in) but not saved any receipts as I was told I didn't need them..! (it was in writing on their webiste, but the wording has changed)

Hmmmm..
      If you get an investigation expect to pay Hector some money.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
        If you get an investigation expect to pay Hector some money.
        Hector.?

Most pissed off about this one actually as I could have saved loads of receipts if I had known, as I was spending the allowance anyway (and more) cos I was living away from home at the time for the work...

Comment

Hector = Tax Man

I may have to give up today, everybody seems to have left thier brains at home.....

Comment

Originally posted by M@H

Hmmmm..

Just call the the tax office..tell them about your mistake. They'll ask you to repay with a small amount of interest.

If you ignore and they come asking, they can go back 6 years, and you'll end up paying the amount + penalties..which could be 100% and interest.

You do the math!

Comment

For ordinary commuting even on a sub-24 month contract you cannot claim your travel costs, whatever your umbrella tells you. Here is HMRC's guidance.

www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/490.pdf

Fixed term appointments

3.18 A period of attendance at a place is not regarded as of limited duration or for a temporary purpose if it is all or almost all of the period for which the employee is likely to hold, or continue to hold, the employment.

Example

Everton is taken on for a fixed term employment of 18 months to work at a particular site. No relief is available for the cost of travel to and from the site during that period.

Comment

Originally posted by james14
                For ordinary commuting even on a sub-24 month contract you cannot claim your travel costs, whatever your umbrella tells you. Here is HMRC's guidance.

www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/490.pdf

Fixed term appointments

3.18 A period of attendance at a place is not regarded as of limited duration or for a temporary purpose if it is all or almost all of the period for which the employee is likely to hold, or continue to hold, the employment.

Example

Everton is taken on for a fixed term employment of 18 months to work at a particular site. No relief is available for the cost of travel to and from the site during that period.
                You're confusing fixed-term contracts, and the kind of contracts most people on this board enter into. The term "fixed-term contract" effectively means temp work - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ns/DG_10027735
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

So what sort of contracts do people on this board enter into?

Comment

B2B contracts where our business supplies a service to a clients business.

Comment

Does anyone know anything about Tarpons dispensation?
                      Last edited by Contractor UK; 7 January 2010, 12:00.

Comment

Working...
                      X