• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dispensations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friends and Family Allowance loophole closed

Comment

Originally posted by Torran View Post

Always seemed a bit open to abuse that one?!

Although if the Government are encouraging us to be green they should encourage people to stay with friends and family rather than travelling to and from etc? Also tax relief on travelling expenses is probably higher!

Comment

Originally posted by PayMatters View Post
        Always seemed a bit open to abuse that one?!

Although if the Government are encouraging us to be green they should encourage people to stay with friends and family rather than travelling to and from etc? Also tax relief on travelling expenses is probably higher!
        In principle I'm pleased HMRC are opening up scale rates to all and sundry. Of course it would be nice if they set them to their own internal scale rates....

The friends and family one hacks me off somewhat though. The company I work for has a dispensation allowing the 25 quid (and yes I know I have to spend something to claim it). I tend to use this quite a lot. Which is worse for the taxman (and the company). Either I pay 25 quid, they "lose" about 8 quid in CT and I maybe make a small profit on the deal. Or I claim total hotel bill around 125 quid to include dinner. They lose best part of 40 quid in CT (and the company becomes a little less competitive). [Mind you the company I work for has renewed it's dispensation last year so it appears I can carry on for another 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Torran View Post
          Just about to start a contract based 2 days p/w at home and 3 days p/w in office around 100 miles away, so plan to stay 2 nights per week with parents/friends who live locally.

Was thinking I could claim on:
          - travel to and from office (2 journeys per week)
          - meals while away from home (3 x B, L and D)
          - overnight accommodation costs (x 2 nights)

Does the fact the 1 meal per day and overnight accommodation is with friends/family influence this?

Am I completely deluded in which of the above I can legitimately claim for?

Seems I can't trust the advice of an umbrella on this

Comment

You can

Originally posted by callthecops View Post
            Just about to start a contract based 2 days p/w at home and 3 days p/w in office around 100 miles away, so plan to stay 2 nights per week with parents/friends who live locally.

Was thinking I could claim on:
            - travel to and from office (2 journeys per week)
            - meals while away from home (3 x B, L and D)
            - overnight accommodation costs (x 2 nights)

Does the fact the 1 meal per day and overnight accommodation is with friends/family influence this?

Am I completely deluded in which of the above I can legitimately claim for?

Seems I can't trust the advice of an umbrella on this
            You can calim the expenses based on Actuals. Dispensation is when you claim based on standard rates agreed between employer and HMRC. It doesnt stop in anyway from applying based on actuals.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
              You can calim the expenses based on Actuals. Dispensation is when you claim based on standard rates agreed between employer and HMRC. It doesnt stop in anyway from applying based on actuals.
              It doesn't actually matter to you what the umbrella company has on its dispensation - this is purely to make their lives easier; all items listed on the dispensation can be processed without the need to file a P11D. You can only claim those expenses that you have actually incurred and you will need to keep receipts.
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                Hi Everyone,

All umbrella companies have dispensations - if we didn't we would spend all our time filling in forms for the Inland Revenue Normally when expenses are paid the accountant is required to complete a P11D; a dispensation just means that this will not be necessary for those expenses which it covers.

An umbrella company's dispensation does not dictate what expenses you can or cannot claim. It is merely a list of expenses that your umbrella company is not compelled to record on a P11D.

If you claim expenses you will definitely and without question need to keep receipts - a dispensation means that your umbrella company does not have to present receipts to the Inland Revenue, it does not mean that you don't need them. And it will be you that will be penalised if you falsify expense claims and not your umbrella company!

Hope this helps
                I am a bit surprised by this. I have a small stake in a software development company. We have an approved daily dispensation of £40 (excluding accomodation) for employees when they have to travel outside town. I am not aware of any advice that we have given our employees to retain their receipts. Are we in breach then?

Also, even if we need employees to submit expenses, we dont need P11Ds. P11Ds are only needed for company houses, company cars etc for which the company need to pay the tax.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
                  I am a bit surprised by this. I have a small stake in a software development company. We have an approved daily dispensation of £40 (excluding accomodation) for employees when they have to travel outside town. I am not aware of any advice that we have given our employees to retain their receipts. Are we in breach then?

Also, even if we need employees to submit expenses, we dont need P11Ds. P11Ds are only needed for company houses, company cars etc for which the company need to pay the tax.
                  Oh dear...

The dispensation means YourCo does not need receipts to prove the P11D. It does not mean your employees don't have to provide an audit trail for the own SA declarations, nor does it mean that they can claim money they haven't spent. If you choose to reward them a flat £40 for trips outside town, that's fine; but it doesn't mean some or all of it is not in fact a BIK. I suggest you talk to your accountant.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Do you have a dispensation, or is it a scale rate agreement with HMRC? A dispensation just means that if it is a genuine expense, then it does not need to be declared on a tax return and then reclaimed. If it's a scale rate agreement then it's completely different. I have a dispensation for my company for subsistence and accommodation with no limit on it - that doesn't mean that I can claim an unlimited amount without needing receipts.

I wouldn't say that you are in breach by not telling your employees not to keep their receipts, but if you have explicitly told them that they don't need receipts, then expect to have some fairly pissed off employees if they are ever audited and haven't got the receipts because you told them they didn't need them.

No, they don't. P11Ds for employees need to declare any benefits in kind, for example
                    • Assets transferred to employees or made available for employee use
                    • Payments made on behalf of the employee
                    • living accommodation
                    • mileage
                    • cars / fuel
                    • interest free and low-interest loans
                    • medical insurance
                    • relocation expenses
                    • subscriptions
                    • educational assistance
                    • childcare
                    • home phone use
                    • entertainment

(Note - that list may or may not be exhaustive). I'd suggest that you / your accountant / whoever is running the business needs to read up on what the dispensation covers, what needs to be declared on the P11D, etc. and makes sure that this is communicated clearly to your employees.
                    If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Submitting my timesheet to my brolly online it just has a tick box for any breakfast £7/lunch £8 claimed. So if I spent £3 for lunch it still goes on the system as £8 claimed.

As there isn’t any option to change the actual amount claimed could this prove to be a problem down the line should I get investigated?

Comment

Working...
                      X