• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella confusion!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gandy View Post
    251 for a day's work. 65 pound paid by the umbrella, whistles off to the accountant....

Is the industry regulated? Apart from other members of the industry.
    There's really no difference between legitimate umbrella companies, other than their margin (and, obviously, their customer service), because the legislation is fixed. Hence "All Umbrella Companies Are Equal (AUCAE)". So when you see substantial differences between companies, you know that one or more are trying to rip you off, introduce dodgy assumptions, or knowingly lead you down a path that will end in your bending over to HMRC, or perhaps all three.

This really isn't rocket science. It's incredibly simple. If you're working through a legitimate umbrella company, it's PAYE or nothing. That means full employer's and employee's National Insurance contributions too. You should expect to retain something like ~55-65% of your income, depending on your earnings.

If you can't understand this (quickly), you're probably not a legitimate poster.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      in April 2017 almost all contractors will probably have to be inside IR35 and pay PAYE
      What is that all about?? HAVE to be?? Seriously??
      Govt. linky please!

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyway View Post
        Govt. linky please!
        She ia talking about Public Sector. Plenty of links on here and google if you have a look.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Govt. linky please!
          https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...es-legislation

For consultation read done deal with the slight possibility of very minor changes.

It will impact all work in the public sector. Example 3 shows how it would impact consultancies - which some hoped would provide a get out clause
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

...and how long before you think it's going to apply to the private sector as well?
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

...and how long before you think it's going to apply to the private sector as well?
              Oh OK. You were talking about all in public sector! Understood.

That said, as you say, if this will also soon apply to private sector, that is a worry then!
              I will certainly have to think about slowly stopping my consulting/contracting work ,and increase my dependency on my software product development / sales business as my mainstream income flow (from current 65/35 => to almost 100% from product development and 0 from consultancy/contracting).

Scary days indeed for contracting.
              I wonder what QDOS et al. will do then. Probably that explains why they are moving into accounting, etc. business model? (so they can slowly phase out the IR35 related business from their portfolio).

Comment

Quite a while. They'll look at it, but banks and other big players will push back.

Either that or it will all be undone within six months.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Quite a while. They'll look at it, but banks and other big players will push back.

Either that or it will all be undone within six months.
                  Let's hope so.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Let's hope so.
                    Ideally it'll all go tits up on the public sector side next summer and will never get near the private sector. If it does reach private sector, I may well end up going back to perm and get the training, paid sick, holiday pay, etc.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Scary days indeed for contracting.
                      I wonder what QDOS et al. will do then. Probably that explains why they are moving into accounting, etc. business model? (so they can slowly phase out the IR35 related business from their portfolio).
                      I don't think the PS consultation is the reason QDOS went it to accounting. Something more along the lines of the number of contractors that cross their threshold every day so makes sense to create a spin off service.
                      Last edited by northernladuk; 1 August 2016, 09:04.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X