• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to Contracting, advice on mileage and travel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Or London.

I'd suggest a flight from Manchester to Gatwick, but there aren't any. Which airport are you planning to fly to - Gatwick was the only one near the M23 that I could think of.
    Yes it is Gatwick to Manchester return.

Comment

Originally posted by niaz7 View Post
      I sound sad, but this is the job I have waited for and its a long long away. All my previous jobs were no more than 8 miles away.

Besides I much prefer this that getting to Liverpool or Sheffield, getting stuck in traffic for two hours and then being stressed getting into work/coming home.
      My regular friday affy commute home M3/M25/M4/M42/A42/M1/M602 always took 7-9hrs - normal 4.5/5 if clear. You do not wanna drive on a fri affy/eve....

Sometime I thank the DMU for revoking my licence since I let the train take the strain in a little over 3 hrs....

Comment

Yes it is Gatwick to Manchester return.
        oops could be in trouble here, wheres my plan b

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          My regular friday affy commute home M3/M25/M4/M42/A42/M1/M602 always took 7-9hrs - normal 4.5/5 if clear. You do not wanna drive on a fri affy/eve....

Sometime I thank the DMU for revoking my licence since I let the train take the strain in a little over 3 hrs....
          Thanks didn't consider that

My option is either ..

- Get Taxi to London Euston and then train to Manchester.

Get Taxi to London Heathrow and fly to Manchester.

Get a big big car and listen to classical music - loud.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            there is nothing about it needing to be the employee own vehicle in any shape or form.
            I agree ASB. Nothing wrong with expensing a privately hired/leased/borrowed car for business journeys @ 45p/mile.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned yet there could be a problem with expenses if this will be the OP's only assignment through the umbrella?

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                Has anyone mentioned yet there could be a problem with expenses if this will be the OP's only assignment through the umbrella?
                I used to trumpet that line but TF says the rules have changed. Can't find the thread. Hopefully he will come and clarify.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I used to trumpet that line but TF says the rules have changed. Can't find the thread. Hopefully he will come and clarify.
                  Not to my knowledge they haven't - if a worker only has a single employment through an umbrella company it's considered a permanent workplace and therefore mileage, subsistence and accommodation can't be claimed as those expenses are only allowable where the workplace is temporary
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    No, they haven't.

The rules have changed about claiming expenses from your employer when you have handed your notice in (previously, you had to stop claiming once you were leaving because you were no longer at a temporary location; now you don't).

If you only ever have one place of work through the umbrella company, then you can't claim expenses because it was always a permanent place of work.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

oops could be in trouble here, wheres my plan b
                      Manchester to Guernsey to Gatwick on a Sunday night. Spend the night in Guernsey and into London first thing Monday morning.

Same route on the way back.

Simple.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X