• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

November 22nd - The death of contracting as we know it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    I agree but HMRC could say "you're all employees and if and when we get around to saying you really are not, we will refund the PAYE or credit your self employed tax account".
    Not going to happen in the current Parliament. It only takes a tiny minority of Tory MPs to rebel, and a sizeable minority want to see the end of spreadsh!t Phil. Ordinarily, this would be exactly the right Budget for radical change, being early in the Parliament. Not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      I agree but HMRC could say "you're all employees and if and when we get around to saying you really are not, we will refund the PAYE or credit your self employed tax account".
      They could say that, but it's a backlog that they could never ever shift. Can't see any politician being that crazy that this is a policy that might do anything other than cause chaos.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If I were an HMRC/Treasury type trying to get this sort of thing through, I might argue along the following lines.

Contractors have been avoiding tax for 20 years.

We have introduced law after law after law and still they don't pay their way.

Now we need them to pay their way to pay for Bexit.

If you (Tory MP) want to oppose that, you risk being called out as supporting tax avoidance.

Therefore be a good boy/girl and don't make waves.

Yes, we know HMRC will make a horrendous mess of getting to everybody, but we have the money in the bank and the initiative is on individuals.

By the way, the Daily Hate will run stories that say "tax avoiders finally brought to heel" and therefore no fear of the redtops being offside.

And by the way it takes the news away from our rich and big corporate friends who can carry on avoiding tax for a bit longer.

(I'm not by the way an HMRC/Treasury type).
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

We've been very fortunate in that the press over the last couple of days has lumped the IR35 and VAT changes together and pinned the government as "attackers of small business" - which includes sole traders; plumbers, decorators, etc. Whoever that came from, we owe them many many pints.

Looking over the comments in various forms of media, the general public appear to be behind us and not the government on this one, for now.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
            We've been very fortunate in that the press over the last couple of days has lumped the IR35 and VAT changes together and pinned the government as "attackers of small business" - which includes sole traders; plumbers, decorators, etc. Whoever that came from, we owe them many many pints.

Looking over the comments in various forms of media, the general public appear to be behind us and not the government on this one, for now.
            Yep, that seems to be the case. For a projected gain to Treasury of just £1bn, this is nothing more than political populism at play by Stride, Hammond et al. With all the other horrors going on in the Tory party right now, they have to calculate whether or not to put this out as a hard policy change and incur the wrath of all small/micro-businesses.
            This could still bite back to Hammond the way S/E NICs did. All the tabloids have to do is spin the effect of this across other spends:

"Hammond hammers small business again for £1.2bn, yet overseas aid still £12bn and Brexit bill now £40bn."
            "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

No mention of anything yet...

Comment

Higher rate of income tax-free allowance to rise to £46,350...

Comment

Paper on tax challenge on digital economy.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The point at which small businesses pay VAT will be kept at £85,000...

Now moving onto housing so hopefully that's all for now? Or does he not announce everything in the speech?

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbantz View Post
                      The point at which small businesses pay VAT will be kept at £85,000...

Now moving onto housing so hopefully that's all for now? Or does he not announce everything in the speech?
                      There is always more to digest in the full blown document that will be published.
                      STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Working...
                      X