• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE webinar: What does a post IR35 reform CV look like? : Mon, May 10, 2021 7:15 PM - 8:15 PM BST More details here.

November 22nd - The death of contracting as we know it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    So what happened? we get away with it for a bit longer? is there a link to that red book thing?
    Clarity is everything

    Comment


      Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
      So what happened? we get away with it for a bit longer? is there a link to that red book thing?
      https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...t_2017_web.pdf
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

      Comment


        cheers
        Clarity is everything

        Comment


          Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
          So what happened? we get away with it for a bit longer? is there a link to that red book thing?
          There will be a consultation on how to tackle non-compliance in the private sector, but AFAIK there is no timeline on when the consultation will start or end. There will be external research from government next year and there will be many more fights around this issue over the coming months and (probably) years.

          But well done to everyone who helped to get this kicked down the road - let's continue the fight and get it kicked further and further away from us all.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

          Comment


            Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            There will be a consultation on how to tackle non-compliance in the private sector, but AFAIK there is no timeline on when the consultation will start or end. There will be external research from government next year and there will be many more fights around this issue over the coming months and (probably) years.

            But well done to everyone who helped to get this kicked down the road - let's continue the fight and get it kicked further and further away from us all.
            My guess is they are still performing analysis on the impact on the public sector, it will take a few years for the full effects to become known.

            Comment


              Seems to suggest that research on extending IR35 to the private sector has already been commissioned and will be reported next year.

              Any guesses as to the answer?

              It is important I think that the reform to public sector was couched as having "increased compliance". If that is the focus rather than the effect on the end client and the economy as a whole, it rather suggests that the position is already loaded.

              I'm going to stop commenting here after this as we are working on something (see elsewhere) and I don't want to be accused of sneaky advertising etc.
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

              (No, me neither).

              Comment


                These are my thoughts also, in fact wasn't the IR35 rumour going to the private sector actually started because someone stated they'd hired a contractor to work on this exact problem so either

                A) They didn't have time to complete the research (typical contractor dragging it out to maximise billing )

                B) The research was inconclusive, ie they didn't get the answer they wanted

                or

                C) All the public pressure, people writing to MP's etc made them do a last minute u-turn.

                I'd love to see what was on that last minute note that Hammond was alleged to have been passed, just before he started his speech.

                I'm hoping it was something like

                "Phil we've been knobbled, whatever you do, don't mention IR35

                Love Tess xx"

                Comment


                  Originally posted by webberg View Post
                  Seems to suggest that research on extending IR35 to the private sector has already been commissioned and will be reported next year.
                  "Therefore the government will carefully consult on how to tackle non-compliance in the private sector, drawing on the experience of the public sector reforms, including through external research already commissioned by the government and due to be published in 2018"

                  That could be read as you have (ie "we've already done research into private sector impact and we'll publish it next year") or it could be read as "part of the experience of public sector reforms will be examined through external research that we have already commissioned and that research will be published next year".
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    "Therefore the government will carefully consult on how to tackle non-compliance in the private sector, drawing on the experience of the public sector reforms, including through external research already commissioned by the government and due to be published in 2018"

                    That could be read as you have (ie "we've already done research into private sector impact and we'll publish it next year") or it could be read as "part of the experience of public sector reforms will be examined through external research that we have already commissioned and that research will be published next year".
                    I suspect they are planning to merge it with the Taylor report findings, which now are backed up by two House of Parliament Committees, to get it through.

                    It is far easier to write a complicated bit of tax code that involves all sorts of workers making it difficult for people like us to complain. After all if that delivery driver is now an employee, it is easier to make a higher skilled worker pay tax like an employee as it is only fair.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      "Therefore the government will carefully consult on how to tackle non-compliance in the private sector, drawing on the experience of the public sector reforms, including through external research already commissioned by the government and due to be published in 2018"

                      That could be read as you have (ie "we've already done research into private sector impact and we'll publish it next year") or it could be read as "part of the experience of public sector reforms will be examined through external research that we have already commissioned and that research will be published next year".
                      It's that.

                      Posted on LinkedIn earlier (credit to the finder who I shan't name but if you're here, nice one) here's the award of research:


                      https://www.contractsfinder.service....hvqnRQyA%3D%3D

                      Apologies if already posted.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X