• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corbyn vs HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    I remember the budget when they announced the dividend tax. I was driving back to work on my lunch break and nearly crashed the car. I'm not driving on November 22nd for fear of what will probably come. Given HMRC see the Public Sector IR35 as a 'resounding success', it's 99% certain it will be applied to the private sector from April 2018. I really can't see it any other way.
    I actual expect an announcement but for a start in April 2019 - to give time for businesses to get prepared but lets see..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

No chance of IR35 reforms moving to private sector.

The public sector reforms have raised nowhere near the £400m the Cabinet Office promised. And the government wouldn't get it through parliament right now even if the money had been raised.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        HMRC for sure. Corbyn is a dog with no teeth while he's in opposition
        It's not HMRC, it's Tories.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          No chance of IR35 reforms moving to private sector.

The public sector reforms have raised nowhere near the £400m the Cabinet Office promised. And the government wouldn't get it through parliament right now even if the money had been raised.
          It doesn't necessarily matter whether it raises the money they promise (it's clouded in constructive ambiguity for now), only that they can make a promise about raising the money. That way, they can justify advance spending of their imaginary money on random tat (aka votes, aka magic money tree), without the OBR/IFS bleating too loudly (and, let's face it, no one is really listening anyway).

I've heard the argument about not getting it through Parliament, which TBF was also made when they had a decent working majority, but a Finance Bill is not going to fail, so it just depends how hard they want to push it.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            I remember the budget when they announced the dividend tax. I was driving back to work on my lunch break and nearly crashed the car. I'm not driving on November 22nd for fear of what will probably come. Given HMRC see the Public Sector IR35 as a 'resounding success', it's 99% certain it will be applied to the private sector from April 2018. I really can't see it any other way.
            and if they do the client companies make a declaration of outside for all those who should be. Not sure I can see a problem. If you ARE a disguised employee then you should worry. If you're not then so what?

Perhaps it would be better if the permie-tractors are actually employees, and can get their pensions, sickbay and holiday pay as they deserve.
            A large number of contractors are under MoO and SDC, and RoS is mostly a sham.

But most private clients will make an outside determination as it will cost them less.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              and if they do the client companies make a declaration of outside for all those who should be. Not sure I can see a problem. If you ARE a disguised employee then you should worry. If you're not then so what?

Perhaps it would be better if the permie-tractors are actually employees, and can get their pensions, sickbay and holiday pay as they deserve.
              A large number of contractors are under MoO and SDC, and RoS is mostly a sham.

But most private clients will make an outside determination as it will cost them less.
              +1 and those private clients will have the correct incentive to ensure our work patterns keep us out of IR35 plus we won't need to worry about it any more - the decision will be made before the contract begins and many people will just go inside IR35 sorry not interested...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
              X