• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You're probably not going to like this - we certainly don't

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I'm unclear why you're winking. I'd be seriously worried if they weren't. Of course they are, and I browse the IPSE forum etc. too, so I broadly know what they're engaged in. This isn't a critique of IPSE, more a reality check about what we can expect.

No, it really doesn't, and it won't. It simply needs to be calibrated in such a way that HMRC/HMG can achieve their stated compliance objectives (or better ). I think you're missing something in the sequencing. I predict that almost no cases will arrive at tribunal, because IR35 status will become a foregone conclusion, i.e. inside. Anyone that is unhappy about this situation will not accept the contract. Anyone that reconsiders later on, having accepted a contract that identifies them as an employee, will be on very shaky ground. There may be a few cases in the transition period for people that are in-contract during the transition, but I think HMRC are prepared for that (in the sense that they're intentionally unprepared, so it will be a painfully slow process). That isn't to say there's no value in those people deemed inside after April 2017 pursuing employment benefits, but that's a separate issue. You have to remember that most people want a quiet life, they're simply not interested in pursuing IR35 status at a tribunal, supported or otherwise, and there will be no incentive to do so in most cases, because the situation will be understood upfront. People will vote with their feet, i.e. leave and not engage further with the PS.
    If you've been reading IPSE's material you will know that over 50% of all contractors are looking at not taking on PS contracts if this all comes into force...

If people are happy to sacrifice 20% of more of their income and blow large holes in their warchest and pension planning then that's their decision. It's not mine, nor, I suspect, a lot of people's.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      If you've been reading IPSE's material you will know that over 50% of all contractors are looking at not taking on PS contracts if this all comes into force...

If people are happy to sacrifice 20% of more of their income and blow large holes in their warchest and pension planning then that's their decision. It's not mine, nor, I suspect, a lot of people's.
      I hope this is the case. I fear that a benched PS contractor, who will struggle to get a role in the private sector if they don't have experience,will take rate minus 20pc over 0pc sat at home.

Comment

Working...
      X