• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The rise of the Gig economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    Given the choice I bet a lot would rather have the stability of a permanent job, so doing something to discourage the practice of contracting for what would normally be permanent positions would make more sense than promising better tax treatment or whatever.
    You talk some utter codswallop you do.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Given the choice I bet a lot would rather have the stability of a permanent job...
      I've had the same employer for 9 years and they're unlikely to make me redundant because the director of the company is me. I don't have to worry about the latest crackpot idea for merging, selling, listing the company etc as that's all under my control. I've worked on a variety of projects that have kept my skills up to date and keep me marketable. With frequent opportunities to practice my interview skills with clients and keep my CV up-to-date I'm ready for new contract opportunities (or permanent ones if I chose). I recon I have far more stability and security than any permie who could be made redundant at the drop of a hat with out of date skills and no idea of how to sell themselves.

Comment

...the stability of a permanent job...
        What stability would that be?
        Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You talk some utter codswallop you do.
        Quite.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

No1 reason for me to work for myself is not to have a boss or PDR crap.

Modern HR has created a paternalistic/materialistic environment. "Restroom break boss". Seriously you need permission to pee, or when to take some leave, or authorisation training, or have a meeting with someone. You are treated like a kid.

Who wants any of that tulipe.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            No1 reason for me to work for myself is not to have a boss or PDR crap.

Modern HR has created a paternalistic/materialistic environment. "Restroom break boss". Seriously you need permission to pee, or when to take some leave, or authorisation training, or have a meeting with someone. You are treated like a kid.

Who wants any of that tulipe.
            Not in all places I worked as a permie.

Unfortunately those where the places that were brought by other companies.....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              What makes you think that?
              Because if your job is being canned and you're being offered the same job at the same pay on a non-permanent basis it tends to make you feel less secure.

I'm not talking about people who "take the plunge" here, I'm talking about public sector jobs that used to be permanent that are being replaced with fixed-length contracts due to budgeting woes. But you know carry on telling me I'm talking tulip without reading my actual post...directed at "Mr. Lad," etc.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                What stability would that be?
                Quite.
                Time was when a permanent job was a job for life if you chose to stay. Twenty or thirty years ago it would have been inconceivable that teachers or doctors or nurses would be laid off. Nowadays the employment landscape is very different & no job is secure.

Comment

Working...
                X