• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of the road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASB View Post
    If my employer as a permies send my to Aberdeen - part of the job not getting to/from then claimable.

if I chose to take a job in Aberdeen and stayed away then not claimable.

I dont really see any reasons why it should be different for anybody.
    What permie job is only ever expected to last three months?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by yakitoo View Post
      Permie would look to buy or long term lease (if they have any sense). Not really much of an option on 3-6 month gigs.
      It would be great moving every 3-6 months having the kids changing school 2-4 times a year. Could we expect the end clients to pay relocation and to sort out schools etc for us?

Edit: And of course, I take it the schools will adapt for my kids to move out from one school and in to another in the period I have found out my current gig ends and my new one starts.
      Last edited by dynamicsaxcontractor; 28 August 2015, 11:01.

Comment

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
        If it wasn't for the stupid idea of the FLC I might have shared the document, but as it stands now IPSE needs to be sorted as well. My membership runs out in 6 months and unless they get their act together there is no way I renew.

eek has done more for me then IPSE ever done!
        FLC is a sideshow a non event for most

T&S rule changes (plus div tax + ir35 changes) will end our sector - but 90% of contractors won't be aware

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post

T&S rule changes (plus div tax + ir35 changes) will end our sector - but 90% of contractors won't be aware
          Yep but its a sideshow that has lost everyone 2 weeks.... And that is a very damaging side show...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Sorry but a 1 man army is an insult.... It implies either a fool's errand or something no one else is supporting...

Yes I might be being sensitive, I also might not like looking at the 100 or so hours I'm going to lose over the next month thinking I really don't want to do this but needs must...
            You think

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Man_Army

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              What permie job is only ever expected to last three months?
              A fixed term contract. Think we may see a lot of those from April 2017...

Comment

Originally posted by yakitoo View Post
                How many links from there before it morphs into the FLC battlefield?
                If it wasn't for the stupid idea of the FLC I might have shared the document, but as it stands now IPSE needs to be sorted as well. My membership runs out in 6 months and unless they get their act together there is no way I renew.

eek has done more for me then IPSE ever done!

Comment

I'll take it back then. Just not looking forward to the amount of work I've committed myself to..

Comment

If it wasn't for the stupid idea of the FLC I might have shared the document
                    I think that's a very short-sighted view, particularly since the leaflet doesn't refer to the FLC at all.

Many contractors aren't aware of this. Many of those that are aware are oblivious to the seriousness of the consultation and the implications of it. For example, a guy I used to work with had seen mention of the consultation in contractor news articles and newsletters but thought nothing of it. It was only when I sent an email to the contractors in my address book outlining the implications of the consultation that he woke up to the problem and has responded to the consultation as well as writing to his MP to raise his concerns.

If the worst case scenario comes to pass, how many of your friends and colleagues will thank you for saying "yeah, I had a leaflet about it that would have summed up the issue for you, but because I didn't like where it came from I decided not to make you aware of the approaching storm"?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The idea of the FLC is a bad one from the start. But to discuss it now when we are under attack is utterly stupid. It's like if enemy troops are sitting on boats off shore ready to attack and instead of us all trying to fight them off spend the time discussing if we should offer them tea or coffee.

Comment

Working...
                      X