• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you written to your MP yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm not sure I am ideologically opposed to the changes which we think are coming, or at least not all of them - I don't really know what they all ARE. So at least, some bullet-point list of the issues and an outline of a letter would surely help me and others to write if we feel things are not right, on the topics we are worried about.

e.g: I don't want to pay dividend tax but I struggle to see why I shouldn't, however being forced to pay employer's NI I very much would disagree with.
    are you an ipse member? they sent out an example/template letter to start you off, you should have got an email on Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Yes, I wrote my own letter - I think that's the way to go. I also didn't moan about divvy tax - my concerns are things that treat "PSCs" differently from bigCo.
      Ok, just so I can be clear about this in my communication with my elected member.

If I'm a permanent employee of a big consultancy & they send me off on a 3 month assignment to, say Edinburgh, I'll get to claim all my travel and subsistence costs directly from the consultancy.

So, does the big consultancy just absorb this cost or do they claim tax relief on the T&S of their employees as a PSC currently does with the T&S of the sole connractor operating through it?

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
        Ok, just so I can be clear about this in my communication with my elected member.

If I'm a permanent employee of a big consultancy & they send me off on a 3 month assignment to, say Edinburgh, I'll get to claim all my travel and subsistence costs directly from the consultancy.

So, does the big consultancy just absorb this cost or do they claim tax relief on the T&S of their employees as a PSC currently does with the T&S of the sole connractor operating through it?
        Yes, the expenses are tax exempt.

Comment

We all know the chances of meeting our MP's will actually change things, however, surely as individuals we have to ensure we try every angle possible, in the hope someone will listen !! Sitting back and assuming nothing will happen or change, results in exactly that.

Personally I have met my MP and yes, he was totally useless and just fed me the party line ********* however, after requesting a specific response from him regarding my personal situation, rather than the template ******* he sent via Gauke, I will soon be arranging a follow up meeting to discuss the fact he said that they wouldn't make someone like me 'Bankrupt' Again, I am sure he will wiggle his way out of it, but for sure I will ensure such an outcome will get sent to the relevant media outlets.

Surely not doing something based on the philosophy " It won't change anything " is probably a root cause as to why nothing ever does change !!

Soap box.....Off
          STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            Mine's labour

to be honest I'm too embarrassed to write complaining that I (probably top 5% of uk earners, probably top 1% of under 30s) can't get tax relief on my travel etc - I expect my MP will be getting pleas from people not being able to afford school clothes for their kids due to reduced benefits - totally separate problem I know, but putting things into perspective, it's not the end of the world if I can't claim my travel - I'll still have food on the table

Totally understand the argument that it's discriminating smallCo's vs bigCo's (and to be honest that's the only bit of the argument I 100% agree with, as nobody here is forced into 300mile commutes, they choose to because they want to charge a decent rate) but I can't see my labour MP giving a fork, I think if labour had their way it would be even worse

(I voted Tory, but only for the feeling of "I did all I could" - my constituency will always be labour)
            Lisa from contractor umbrella has a post in General with a link that has an example of why we need to claim T&S.

I'm on a phone so it's a hell to link to but go and look at that article. Mod edit - link added

The email will be easier to write then as your MP will give a **** as they like having electricity and trains.
            Last edited by NotAllThere; 14 August 2015, 11:45. Reason: Added link
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              I suppose you do all realise that if you write to your MP about a matter that is effectively down to a minister, they will have to pass the letter on for an answer. They won't answer it themselves, since they are neither authorised or informed enough to do so. And if they do, then write back and explain why you aren't satisfied with their answer.

So a few thousand forwarded letters from across the country all landing on Gauke's desk will make something of a point. Therefore the more that write to their MPs, the more effective everyone's campaigning will be and the more the point is made that this is a disaster in the making.

One thing is certain; whining impotently on here about ineffective MPs won't achieve anything. We - or rather you - have to use the system
              That's such a well proven way to gain traction, after all didn't the BN66 crowd raise thousands of MP's letters and gain exactly feck all?

The track record of letter writing to MP's, is pathetic, it's like a fart in a hurricane, utterly futile.

Since you claimed that IPSE have a seat at the tables of power and were in a position to directly influence policy I'd love to see some of that, of course all your past claims could be complete tripe and IPSE could be completely impotent and ineffective and have long ago abandoned a fight that's still very much ongoing. IPSE betrayed its entire reason for existence long ago and can only recommend this type of utterly ineffective letter writing.

Comment

as nobody here is forced into 300mile commutes, they choose to because they want to charge a decent rate)
                Hmmm, I wouldn't say it is as simple as that.
                For some they need to travel to get some kind of continuity of employment.

If you live in Yorkshire, for example, your options are fairly limited. I know someone who does, recently they have done, 6 months Edinburgh, 2 months local, now 6 months in London.

Obviously, the London gig pays the best of the lot.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Lisa from contractor umbrella has a post in General with a link that has an example of why we need to claim T&S.

I'm on a phone so it's a hell to link to but go and look at that article.

The email will be easier to write then as your MP will give a **** as they like having electricity and trains.

Thad'll be this post right here then.

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
                    If not, why the hell not?
                    Because IPSE twunts like you took the p1ss out of retro tax lot. I was a PCG forum member then and the threads started to have a go at those in trouble astonished me.

No they are coming for you too. HMRC say you are a tax evader. Not nice is it?

Avoidance is avoidance. Evasion is evasion. I would prefer it if we could keep on the same side. But your choice to walk away.

And anyway, it will do you no good. HMRC run the government. If you are ever ready to go for f4j tactics then you will get somewhere.

HTH BISDI.
                    <mod snip>
                    Last edited by NotAllThere; 18 August 2015, 12:36. Reason: winking

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                      That's such a well proven way to gain traction, after all didn't the BN66 crowd raise thousands of MP's letters and gain exactly feck all?

The track record of letter writing to MP's, is pathetic, it's like a fart in a hurricane, utterly futile.
                      Depends if enough MPs see it as a threat to the country's stability.

Personally I don't like the IPSE letter due to the examples they use and making a fuss over dividend tax, as no one gives a **** about those in banking but people like having their lights on and get on decent trains that run on time.

Oh and while you may not like IPSE what have you got against Lisa and eek?
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X