• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OS Getamap and Garmin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OS Getamap and Garmin

Bit obscure and nowt on t'web but I know some here have Garmin devices.

Having subscribed to OS Getamap I can't put a map on my Garmin. A popup tells me I don't have the communicator plugin installed although I do, the Garmin website shows I have the up to date version and my device is detected. Tried obvious things, reinstalling plugin and Silverlight but no joy.

Any ideas? Ta.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Bit obscure and nowt on t'web but I know some here have Garmin devices.

Having subscribed to OS Getamap I can't put a map on my Garmin. A popup tells me I don't have the communicator plugin installed although I do, the Garmin website shows I have the up to date version and my device is detected. Tried obvious things, reinstalling plugin and Silverlight but no joy.

Any ideas? Ta.
    AFAIK you can't import actual maps into the Garmin from Getamap, only the GPS route. Or is that what you meant?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Cheers, was afraid of that. Got it going with Firefox last night (dunno why I have so much trouble with IE11!) and found I could only export tracks, not maps. Was originally under impression I could get maps from OS. Waste of subscription
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Cheers, was afraid of that. Got it going with Firefox last night (dunno why I have so much trouble with IE11!) and found I could only export tracks, not maps. Was originally under impression I could get maps from OS. Waste of subscription
        I think it depends on the GPS unit. I can get maps on my android tablet.

Edit: Actually I think that's mapfinder.
        Last edited by doodab; 15 April 2014, 12:41.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Think I'll chuck the Garmin in the bin. Does anything work on the website? Bought a map but doesn't show me I bought it. If you have brought a download and clicked an email link it should take you to a specific download page, not the home page without a clue where to go. There's an activate that may be relevant but the dropdown list does not work. Same in all browsers.
          bloggoth

Comment

Think I'll chuck the Garmin in the bin. Does anything work on the website? Bought a map but doesn't show me I bought it. If you have brought a download and clicked an email link it should take you to a specific download page, not the home page without a clue where to go. There's an activate that may be relevant but the dropdown list does not work. Same in all browsers.
            Which one have you got? Their tech support is usually pretty good if you get in touch with them and the firms usually provide some good answers as well.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Cheers. I did and they were. Have to download it from Basecamp, not what it says on the help at right here but, anyway, now got the proper detailed walking map that I wanted and the little triangle is right on my house.

Not sure I approve of the arrow with "Grumpy Old Bastard" though.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 15 April 2014, 19:19.
              bloggoth

Comment

Working...
              X