• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Identifying the best font approximation for printed (scanned) text sample

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identifying the best font approximation for printed (scanned) text sample

Any typography experts tuned in?

Is there some forum where one can post a print sample for friendly experts to peruse and suggest fonts that closely approximate it.

The sample is in a fairly reasonable font, i.e. the letters are not formed from stick figures or something off the wall like that.

Or perhaps these days there is an OCR type program that can attempt to do this automatically, by outlining the letters and deducing TeX-like letter metrics which it can compare against a database. (Although impressive, it would be little use if this could whump up MetaFont definitions for the letters in the sample, because I would also need other letters that were not!)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

WhatTheFont Mobile: Overview « MyFonts
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

+1
      I've used this and it works very well.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Many thanks for the prompt replies. I imagined this would be a fairly arcane requirement, otherwise I probably wouldn't have asked here. But a simple web search on "font recognition" returns loads of good results, such as:

How can I automatically determine fonts used in an image or PDF? - Graphic Design Stack Exchange

7 Free Tools to Identify A Font | Webdesigner Depot
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
        X