• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scrum Alliance Scrum Master Certification Renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrum Alliance Scrum Master Certification Renewal

At the tail end of me being a permie my old employer sent me (along with the entire department) on a Scrum Master Course, cue a 2 day jolly followed by an exam (which was impossible to fail) and I became a fully certified 'Scrum Master', its now 2 years later and my certification has expired.

Those nice folks at the scrum alliance want $100 to renew my certification for another 2 years. I have never performed the Scrum Master role, although I have worked exclusively as a developer on Agile projects ever since. I am erring along the lines of not bothering as to me it seems purely like a money making exercise. They require no proof that I have indeed been performing a Scrum Master role since then. My other certifications (including Java 2 certified programmer which I got back in 2004) have no such time restriction.

What do others think, worth $100 for another 2 years or not bother as its a waste of money?

Originally posted by kal View Post
    At the tail end of me being a permie my old employer sent me (along with the entire department) on a Scrum Master Course, cue a 2 day jolly followed by an exam (which was impossible to fail) and I became a fully certified 'Scrum Master', its now 2 years later and my certification has expired.

Those nice folks at the scrum alliance want $100 to renew my certification for another 2 years. I have never performed the Scrum Master role, although I have worked exclusively as a developer on Agile projects ever since. I am erring along the lines of not bothering as to me it seems purely like a money making exercise. They require no proof that I have indeed been performing a Scrum Master role since then. My other certifications (including Java 2 certified programmer which I got back in 2004) have no such time restriction.

What do others think, worth $100 for another 2 years or not bother as its a waste of money?
    Well know one else has replied and I don't know anything about this at all, so I'm going to suggest you pay $100 for another 2 years. It comes out of your corp tax, so who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Well know one else has replied and I don't know anything about this at all, so I'm going to suggest you pay $100 for another 2 years. It comes out of your corp tax, so who cares.
      Thanks for throwing me the bone woohoo , as NLUK would no doubt be at pains to inform me 80% of those $$$ come out of my pocket so I will keep my money in my pocket and not bother to renew as lets face it its a useless certification!

Comment

Thanks for throwing me the bone woohoo , as NLUK would no doubt be at pains to inform me 80% of those $$$ come out of my pocket so I will keep my money in my pocket and not bother to renew as lets face it its a useless certification!
        As soon as you do that you know you will get a contract offer where you need it....
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I keep mine up-to-date but if you don't need it, don't renew it. Less competition for me.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            As soon as you do that you know you will get a contract offer where you need it....
            Ain't that the truth! $100 = 60 quid so its a drop in the ocean...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              I keep mine up-to-date but if you don't need it, don't renew it. Less competition for me.
              Are you a scrum master Lockhouse? If so its a no brainer, im an agile dev so while I have worked in scrum teams for a number of years I haven't done the SM role.

Comment

OT
                For some unknown reason if I type the word imbecile into my iPhone it auto corrects it to I'm agile...

Make of that what you will

£100 for a cert to tell people you can run an agile project seems reasonable although I'm not sure id want to tell people that I organise chaos for a living

Comment

The PSM one is better in my opinion - the level 1 test is actually very hard for anyone without real agile/scrum experience.
                  It's newer so less well known, but if a cert is to mean anything at all then I think PSM is more meaningful.

Comment

I tend to point that out just where people want to buy expensive kit through the company and think it doesn't cost them anything. £100 to keep your certs up to date is a no brainer to me.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X