• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Planning your program.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Totally irrelevant, but I'm a bottom up kind of GAL.
    Oh, me too

Comment

paper flowchart & list of required inputs & outputs. Lots of crayon!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Last time I did it I used JSP!!!! Showing my age!

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
          Last time I did it I used JSP!!!! Showing my age!
          I learned all that junk on my degree course twelve years ago. Never seen it since!

Comment

on this - the current project I am on seems to want everyone's design down to the nth degree

and I am struggling to see the benefit of such detailed documentation which does not actually allow the developer to get on with the development until this has all been signed off.

But the problem is as you are developing something new there will always be things to try to make it work which will only be found out at the point when they try and make it -at which point the hours of time a spent and trees chopped down to make the documents then become completely wasted.

So I look for detailed designs as an out come of development not something development is dependant on.

Am I a dinosaur and doing it wrong?

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              No. When dealing with novelty most development is design, that's what managermen don't seem to grasp. In the wider world people will create dozens of prototypes before a final product is released.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                No. When dealing with novelty most development is design, that's what managermen don't seem to grasp. In the wider world people will create dozens of prototypes before a final product is released.
                Thank you!

Makes me more comfortable

I was just always struggling to ariculate it to managment

I think last time I tried I comapared it to asking a brickie to write the number on the bricks which he is going to lay them in - time consuming and ultimately pointless

went down like a lead balloon

as did the time I tried to explain why hiring more developers does not mean things get done quicker - I compared that to hiring a 4th brickie to start building the wall from the top

I think I am gonna need a new role soon!

Comment

So I look for detailed designs as an out come of development not something development is dependant on.

TIA
                  No. As the man said, "The source code is the design": Code as Design: Three Essays by Jack W. Reeves.

Comment

on this - the current project I am on seems to want everyone's design down to the nth degree

and I am struggling to see the benefit of such detailed documentation which does not actually allow the developer to get on with the development until this has all been signed off.

But the problem is as you are developing something new there will always be things to try to make it work which will only be found out at the point when they try and make it -at which point the hours of time a spent and trees chopped down to make the documents then become completely wasted.

TIA
                    Assuming your talking about the design of the software rather than requirements/specification then I tend to agree with you.

However, I did work on a project once where they had a process of designing the software and having it reviewed by a few people who signed it off. I found that I spent nearly two months evaluating web services etc, designing the software and about 1 month coding. This approach worked really well for them and there is something to be said for taking the time up front to think out the design, but wasn't a fun project.

Comment

TIA
                      Thats what the agile process is all about. Deliver working code, then document it.

Comment

Working...
                      X