• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Synology DS214PLAY

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synology DS214PLAY

Anyone with one? Would you recommend?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Sorry, got the 212J which I think is great but don't know how it compares to the 214Play. What are you wanting it for most?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Sorry, got the 212J which I think is great but don't know how it compares to the 214Play. What are you wanting it for most?
      My guess as I haven't asked is central storage point for media. Personally I'm not sure what to go for as I'm sure things are in a state of flux.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Anyone with one? Would you recommend?
        It's EMC Isilon or nothing ...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          My guess as I haven't asked is central storage point for media. Personally I'm not sure what to go for as I'm sure things are in a state of flux.
          Bingo, I am liking the DS214play's on the fly transcoding functionalliy, ideally I would like to either use a Smart TV or a Networked Blu Ray player to take videos from the NAS, my current Sony TV is a bit buggy in what it can play from a ReadyNas Duo

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Bingo, I am liking the DS214play's on the fly transcoding functionalliy, ideally I would like to either use a Smart TV or a Networked Blu Ray player to take videos from the NAS, my current Sony TV is a bit buggy in what it can play from a ReadyNas Duo
            Ok this is exactly what I do and it's great. Samsung TV hardwired through the house to the NAS. Just comes up as one of the inputs and away you go. Used to use it all the time but we got Netflix recently so been using that most of the time now.

I also have a Samsung Surround sound that is networked but I must admit I don't listen to music much so haven't connected it to the NAS. Just do it through the TV.

Occasionally loses connect to the TV but rarely. Streaming is great. The synologys even has it's own torrents app but it's stopped working in the last couple of months due to the push to drop the torrent sites. You can update it manually but there is also a plug in for chrome so right button on a torrent download file and it give you the option for the NAS to do the work for you.

There are also Apps for Android and (I guess) Apple devices for films, music and accessing the files as well as the cloud shizzle.

PS.. Nas doesn't take videos so you will need one of these for them
            Last edited by northernladuk; 4 February 2014, 23:32.

Comment

I have a QNAP and since getting my Smart TV I don't need to transcode anything, haven't found anything that doesn't stream and play yet.

Samsung FTW, huge selection of codecs.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Which Sammy TV do you have? Was looking at a Samsung Blu Ray player for Netflix/Love Films apps (I still have to have the NAS as the West Wing is no longer on Netflix ), but if I can get a TV that does the job all the better as I am gonna pair it with a YouView player/recorder

Comment

I have a UE55ES700

Do your research on the Samsung Blu Rays. I got a Samsung surround sound system that has Smart Functionality built in so you don't need a smart TV but the Netflix has a lag which a lot of people complained about on Amazon. I us the TV smart option so not been an issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X