• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FAO: Web admin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAO: Web admin

You might want to have a word with Bytemark and let them know that the Apache latency is too high.

And why the hell would you want to run a web server on Ubuntu?
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    You might want to have a word with Bytemark and let them know that the Apache latency is too high.

Got Apache For Dummies for Xmas?

Comment

The server is hosted at Bytemark's data centre but the management of the server is down to me. What makes you say the latency is too high?

Been running Ubuntu as mail and web server for six or seven years now. It hasn't caused me any problems so I haven't looked to change. 10.04 and 12.04 server installs have been stable and good enough for me for years. What would you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
        The server is hosted at Bytemark's data centre but the management of the server is down to me. What makes you say the latency is too high?
        I ping the site and the latency is ok, but it takes ages to load the page, and that's the only site that behaves so, mainly in the evening. Maybe you have a lot of cron jobs after 8 pm or it is not tuned properly.

Originally posted by administrator View Post
        Been running Ubuntu as mail and web server for six or seven years now. It hasn't caused me any problems so I haven't looked to change. 10.04 and 12.04 server installs have been stable and good enough for me for years. What would you suggest?
        I know the guys at Bytemark, top man is a Ubuntu/Debian developer so he is a bit biased. What to use? I have fallen in love with the *bsd's, but because Bytemark use kvm, you're limited to Linux.

You could move to Debian stable, the transition from Ubuntu wouldn't be painful. Better would be Slackware or Gentoo.
        <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

I know the guys at Bytemark, top man is a Ubuntu/Debian developer so he is a bit biased. What to use? I have fallen in love with the *bsd's, but because Bytemark use kvm, you're limited to Linux.

You could move to Debian stable, the transition from Ubuntu wouldn't be painful. Better would be Slackware or Gentoo.
          And in one statement (without and partly due to the lack of explanation) any respect you might have got here (and I frankly doubt there was any to begin with) is gone.

Hint, the latency will be due to the time required to gather the data required to load the page. 1-2 seconds ain't bad for the pile of sql queries that has to be run to return a page.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The site is lightning fast for me.

Why switch to another OS when everything is working?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              The site is lightning fast for me.

Why switch to another OS when everything is working?
              How narrow minded is that? Because it works for you, it doesn't mean it works for everybody. I hope your line of business has got nothing to do with customer service.

By the way, do you work for some bank in Luxembourg?

Comment

How narrow minded is that? Because it works for you, it doesn't mean it works for everybody. I hope your line of business has got nothing to do with customer service.

By the way, do you work for some bank in Luxembourg?
                So how would switching operating system make postgres / mysql faster?
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  So how would switching operating system make postgres / mysql faster?
                  And how do you know it has go to do with databases, troll?

It could be anything. One has to analyze dmesg, log files, top, memory leaking, check cron jobs failures, check security updates, all sort of things that are too difficult for you to understand.

And yes, a different OS/distro can make the difference. Packages are built in different ways by different distros. Some distributions maintain a more conservative approach and complile packages with fewer dependencies.

Comment

Technical is still a Professional forum. Throwing the word Troll around in what should be a debate is frowned on. Post your stuff in General if that's what you want to do.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X