• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FAO: Web admin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by administrator View Post
    I was thinking about that the other day! It might be worth a fiddle...
    You never know what kind of absent poster might be tempted to come back for a TPD re-opening.....
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I would add that I know there is javascript that will watch how fast a page loads and return it to the server. Was looking at adding it as part of the Custome.rs application we are very slowly (very being the operative word) working on....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
        You never know what kind of absent poster might be tempted to come back for a TPD re-opening.....
        OK, is open for the minute, let's see how it goes...

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I would add that I know there is javascript that will watch how fast a page loads and return it to the server. Was looking at adding it as part of the Custome.rs application we are very slowly (very being the operative word) working on....
        Sounds good! One of the other sites I work on, a minefield of custom PHP, I could really do with something that shows the different stages in load times and where the bottlenecks are... Will get around to it eventually!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
          Is everything ok with dmesg and the Apache and *sql logs?

Apache or mysql might run from a separate partition and that could be (partially) corrupted.

At first I thought it was me because I'm abroad but even in the UK I had problems posting, after clicking the send button. It might freeze for 40-45 secs and then timeout. But then, if it's only me reporting this problem, it might well be a problem on my side of the connection.

Have you tried rebooting your laptop ?
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
            How narrow minded is that? Because it works for you, it doesn't mean it works for everybody. I hope your line of business has got nothing to do with customer service.

By the way, do you work for some bank in Luxembourg?
            If it works great for me then it's not likely to be some problem with the choice of OS is it? Unless I have a magic internet connection which makes other people's hardware speed up.

Comment

At least we know one thing, the OP read a book or a paragraph on the internet and ballooned here about what an expert (read a-hole) he is on here......

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                At least we know one thing, the OP read a book or a paragraph on the internet and ballooned here about what an expert (read a-hole) he is on here......
                I suspect it's related to trying to use debian or slackware as a desktop OS on some underpowered zillion year old machine. My super powered quad core 32GB pile of windows awesomeness posts so fast I keep getting told to wait between posts.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

V slow here at times just now. Newsletter is on its way out and this does cause a bit of a strain on the server but also noticed a stray gzip process running. Traced it back to logrotate which was running at 11:27. Fine on most days but a bit too much pressure on the server on newsletter days so have change cron.daily to run at 4:30 am which should help for next week.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                    V slow here at times just now. Newsletter is on its way out and this does cause a bit of a strain on the server but also noticed a stray gzip process running. Traced it back to logrotate which was running at 11:27. Fine on most days but a bit too much pressure on the server on newsletter days so have change cron.daily to run at 4:30 am which should help for next week.
                    That'll slow down BP posting in the insomnia thread though

Comment

Same time next week?

Comment

Working...
                      X