• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PHP issues (maybe)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PHP issues (maybe)

Did a shopping cart on my website using PHP only for essentials. It does a self post to add items or address details to MySQL table rather than cookies.

Tested ok on 5 major browsers on my PC and my Android tablet but the log of real visits shows a couple that put stuff in cart and went to checkout but did not complete. Hard to say if there is an actual problem of something not working or they just changed their minds.

Would have thought PHP only should present same to all users but wonder if anyone knows of any possible pitfalls in the approach or has any testing suggestions? Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Did a shopping cart on my website using PHP only for essentials. It does a self post to add items or address details to MySQL table rather than cookies.

Tested ok on 5 major browsers on my PC and my Android tablet but the log of real visits shows a couple that put stuff in cart and went to checkout but did not complete. Hard to say if there is an actual problem of something not working or they just changed their minds.

Would have thought PHP only should present same to all users but wonder if anyone knows of any possible pitfalls in the approach or has any testing suggestions? Cheers.
    personal experience but I frequently put things in the cart/basket but don't buy, its my way of holding it and considering whether I actually NEED it. About half the time I don't.

eBay & Amazon ping you after a week or so and remind you if its in your cart, ebay also update your cart if price changes or no longer available then email you.

Unless your sales are time critical or it becomes a high percentage I wouldn't worry.

You could email them and ask example eBay reminder.

Don't miss out! You've left something in your basket.

Hi Vetran,

You have 1 available item(s) in your basket - remember, items aren't yours until you check out!

1 * penis enhancer pump

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Cheers V. I'd have to have an email address entered. Might be a good idea to have a login so anyone who comes back does not have to enter details again.

Got some orders today and have been annoying people I know to check it out, so think its ok. Even works on my cheap phone, although layout is unsuitable.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 10 January 2014, 16:37.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

As vetran said, you expect some drop out for orders - probably nothing to worry about. Why not add a 'contact us' button to the checkout page so that if they do have technical issues, there's a chance they'll let you know?

BTW, I just abandoned an order

IE11 is also out now - might be worth testing on that too.

Comment

Cheers MS. Helpful to get a visit.

PS You do realise I now know everything about you down to your shoe size? I have secret methods that Google can only dream about.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 11 January 2014, 13:43.
          bloggoth

Comment

Working...
          X