• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Water meters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water meters

Bar-stewards installed water meters earlier this year and just got first bill. Seems ridiculously high consumption, according to their guide, equivalent to 6.5 showers a day! (Wot me? That's more than 6 year's worth!)

Checked there are no tanks or bogs leaking to overflow. No leaks anywhere unless hidden away underground.

What do you lot use?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Bar-stewards installed water meters earlier this year and just got first bill. Seems ridiculously high consumption, according to their guide, equivalent to 6.5 showers a day! (Wot me? That's more than 6 year's worth!)

Checked there are no tanks or bogs leaking to overflow. No leaks anywhere unless hidden away underground.

What do you lot use?
    Scottish Water. No meter.

Comment

IIRC if there is a big difference, you can tell them to take the meter out and put you back on what you were paying.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
        IIRC if there is a big difference, you can tell them to take the meter out and put you back on what you were paying.
        IIRC If you switch to a meter yourself, you have 12 months within which you can switch back to an unmetered supply if it’s more expensive. If the water company mandated the meter I don’t think this is possible.

How are you checking for leaks ? To check if a leak affects the metering the best thing to do is turn off your internal water supply and check your water meter, if the dials are still spinning it’s likely that there is a leak somewhere.
        If this is the case, you should notify your water company as soon as possible and they’ll be able to advise you as to what to do next :Where the leak is will determine both who fixes it and who pays for it.

If the leak is inside your home it’ll be down to you to get a plumber in to do the repairs.
        If the leak is outside your property but inside your property boundary you’ll need to pay for repairs if excavation is needed. However, your water company may offer to do the repairs if it’s easily accessible.
        Providing you get the leak fixed within a reasonable amount of time (usually 30 days) the water company may agree to reduce your bills to their usual level. They may also give you some help towards the cost of repairs, but this is not a given.

HTH
        If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

How many in your household? I was under the impression for 1-2 people a meter is cheaper than unmetered, for a full family it is more expensive.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            How many in your household? I was under the impression for 1-2 people a meter is cheaper than unmetered, for a full family it is more expensive.
            +1
            How many are using the water makes a big difference when you are on a meter - except im my case i'm a bathaholic so even though I live alone I would hate to see what my usage was metered at !
            If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

Before I got rid of the ex Mrs hyperD (half gold-digger, half dolphin), we had a water bill of £30/month. Now it is £10/month. But I'm heavily constipated and perpetually dehydrated and haven't used the bath in years.
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Just two of us here now. Can't see any movement of the meter when no water being used. Think will have to check it every day and see what's going on.

PS Would have used a lot more when the missus was around too but just two grubby males here now.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  PS Would have used a lot more when the missus was around too but just two grubby males here now.
                  You and Tom Daley?

Thames Water seem to have forgotten to charge me for my water usage, I fear for some time. I'm not sure whether to call attention to it - I probably should phone them and face the music.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

My water bill is outrageous, £572 per year and that's just me. Plus one teenager in the holidays which probably doubles the below

1 shower per day
                    1 dish wash per day
                    2 washing machine cycles / week

I phoned Anglian Water once and somehow they convinced me my usage was normal (ish). Now I'm wondering again.

Comment

Working...
                    X