• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speeding up Wordpress

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speeding up Wordpress

A relative with more money than sense paid a pro a small fortune for a website using Wordpress. It looks nice but is very slow to load. Have run it through various free test things, yslow, pingdom etc. There's images that could be compressed more and have found some other fairly easy things on the net, like using gzip, minify, using cookie free domains.

However, I think much of the problem is the sheer number of scripts and styles included. Don't want to spend ages on it, so is there
    a cross reference or other easy way of finding which ones are actually needed on any particular page? Much ta.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

I know this isn't an answer to your exact question, but...

Have you tried installing the W3 Total Cache plugin, which can help performance by caching lots of different things. I'd also install "Exploit Scanner" and check whether there is anything nasty going on, and also Sucuri Security - SiteCheck Malware Scanner which will check whether you are on any blacklists. Finally, TPC! Memory Usage will show you what memory the site is using, so you might be able to see whether the problem lies with RAM or disk access.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

I would also look at the hosting. Could be that the site doesn't perform badly but that it is the server it is sat on that is struggling due to other activity on the box. Try downloading it all and sticking it on a VM or whatever local testing set up you have and see how it performs there. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
        I know this isn't an answer to your exact question, but...

Have you tried installing the W3 Total Cache plugin, which can help performance by caching lots of different things. I'd also install "Exploit Scanner" and check whether there is anything nasty going on, and also Sucuri Security - SiteCheck Malware Scanner which will check whether you are on any blacklists. Finally, TPC! Memory Usage will show you what memory the site is using, so you might be able to see whether the problem lies with RAM or disk access.
        Would echo the W3 Total cache, made a hell of a difference for a couple of charity websites I am involved in

Comment

Originally posted by Boney M View Post
          Would echo the W3 Total cache, made a hell of a difference for a couple of charity websites I am involved in
          W3 Total Cache + CloudFlare ?

Comment

Cheers all. Had already added Cloudflare without any very obvious improvement.

Wary of caching of any sort, had problems last year on another site of people seeing old versions of page unless they clicked refresh, or was that summit else? Not an expert in this stuff.
            bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
              W3 Total Cache + CloudFlare ?
              Not aware of cloudflare, will give it a look over the weekend

Comment

Images/ scripts

First rule of thumb for me would be to check any images that load with the page. How big are they? What file format? I would suggest making sure they are all . PNG and are all under 100KB. I've seen sites with 1MB photos, and trust me, they add up.

Also (this is more technical) you can look into what scripts are loading first. If the HTML loads the header, but then requires a few other scripts to load, the body will not load until the script is loaded (since the script tag is in the header). My suggestion, in this case, would be to move the script tags into the body right before the div/ class/ element where they are needed.

-Sami

Comment

Cheers for extra answers. Cut down images as far as poss.

Most of the references in the page are quite unnecessary, I saved to disk, deleted almost all the js and css files and the page still worked fine. I would have thought Wordpress allowed "experts" to be a bit more choosy and not include unnecessary stuff.
                  bloggoth

Comment

It does - experts edit those files by hand.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X