• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free, hosted (SaaS) source control and bug-tracking/issue-management?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free, hosted (SaaS) source control and bug-tracking/issue-management?

I've been happily using assembla's excellent free service for side-projects' SVN. But issue-tracking and time-logging is a little google-doc I threw together... works OK but I'd rather use something proper.

However I hate configuration and installing server software, especially in the Linux world. If I had to I could probably get bugzilla or redmine up and running on my host but I thought I'd check in case anyone can suggest free (or bargain) hosted alternatives. Anything that charges per user is out, but services which are free (or nearly) up to a 5 users would be perfect. I don't need fancy features, just something stable and cheap - if/when things pick up I'd switch to something more complete (and expensive).

Suggestions?
    Last edited by d000hg; 10 July 2013, 15:35.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Beanstalk — Secure, Private Subversion, Mercurial and Git Hosting

$15 a month for five users, doubt you'll find something free
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Since assembla are giving me free SVN/git, that doesn't appear to offer much more

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Since assembla are giving me free SVN/git, that doesn't appear to offer much more
        BitBucket is free for up to 5 users. Unlimited public & private repos for Git/Mercurial with rudimentary issue tracking within each repo.

Comment

Thanks. Looks like it's DVCS only, but their issue tracker might fit with my assembla SVN

(why oh why do companies have to dictate I use the latest fad when tools with a decade of trustworthiness are still the default, bloody idealist programmers trying to force the issue!!)

Comment

You're not in MSworld but I thought I'd add Team Foundation Service if anyone who is hits this thread in the future

Edit: actually Eclipse supported too

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              You're not in MSworld but I thought I'd add Team Foundation Service if anyone who is hits this thread in the future

Edit: actually Eclipse supported too
              It's poor though. Yes it does the things requested but it doesn't actually do any of them well.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm happy with Google Project Hosting, but it's for open source projects only....

Comment

+1 for bitbucket

There's a pretty easy upgrade path from subversion to git, so you can maintain your changes and commit histories.

Comment

Sure, but git's horrible Or at the very least, massively overkill for a small project. Plus I know how to use SVN!

A free account's not to be sniffed at though, even if as a way to play with git and use the issue tracker.

Comment

Working...
                    X