• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BTBroadband VPN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTBroadband VPN

Hello

I have a home network and BTInfinity broadband. I run VMWare servers (Windows and Linux) for the client\server tools I use as a contractor as it can be quite handy to test out scenarios etc. When I'm working away from home on site or on a night at the B&B I'd like to be able to access the network direct from my laptop which has the client tools (Windows7) on it. I am using PCAnywhere but its not ideal.

I'd rather set up a VPN but its outside of my technical area.

Anyone done this kind of thing before?

Cheers

Jamie

Yep.

I've used openVPN, this needs to run on a server, which can be a VM of course. Steps are roughly:

set up openVPN on the server
    set up port forwarding on your router to forward traffic to a specific port to the openVPN service on the server
    set up openVPN on the client
    test the connection

It isn't point and click but it's fairly simple to do this for a single host using static keys.

Once this is done you will have two separate networks, your home network and the openVPN network. In order to communicate with hosts on the home networkk over openVPN you will need to enable routing between them as follows:

Enable IP forwarding on the server host so that open VPN traffic can reach the home network and vice versa
    Set up a static route on your router so that traffic on the home network intended for the openVPN network is directed to the server hosting openVPN.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I use Oracle Secure Global Desktop (formerly Tarantella, a better Citrix) can run it in a VMware VM or SPARC in an LDOM or Zone or full machine.

Run it on port 443 and you're in even from behind work firewall.

Comment

logmein &/or hamachi (also logmein)

Comment

+1 for logmein. Just works.
          World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Yep.

I've used openVPN, this needs to run on a server, which can be a VM of course.
            +1 for openVPN. Using it in conjunction with SmoothWall Express. Has been working well for 3+ years now.

Comment

Originally posted by stomper666 View Post
              Hello

I have a home network and BTInfinity broadband. I run VMWare servers (Windows and Linux) for the client\server tools I use as a contractor as it can be quite handy to test out scenarios etc. When I'm working away from home on site or on a night at the B&B I'd like to be able to access the network direct from my laptop which has the client tools (Windows7) on it. I am using PCAnywhere but its not ideal.

I'd rather set up a VPN but its outside of my technical area.

Anyone done this kind of thing before?

Cheers

Jamie
              One other option to consider is getting hold of a broadband router that can actually host the VPN for you.

For example I've got an ASUS RT-N16 which is connected to a BT Openreach Fibre modem (76Mbit sync with Plusnet as the ISP) . The router itself has the ability to host a VPN connection that I can get to from my laptop or iPhone, basically anything that can initiate a PPTP VPN connection.

Now with this in place, if I want to grab a file off the NAS or print something at home I can do it from anywhere that I can get a connection. Oh yeah, and it also has the benefit that when I'm on some dodgy wifi hotspot, my access is encrypted and routed via my home connection instead. It's pretty useful for iPlayer when overseas as well...

As you're already into the Vmware side of things, you could also consider a pre built virtual applicance that would provide your VPN services as well, see here for examples:
              OpenVPN appliances

Comment

I've got FTTC here...Virtualise PfSense and use that to create the PPPoE connection required. Install OpenVPN. Setup....Working VPN!

GE

Comment

Originally posted by BHicks View Post
                  One other option to consider is getting hold of a broadband router that can actually host the VPN for you.

For example I've got an ASUS RT-N16 which is connected to a BT Openreach Fibre modem (76Mbit sync with Plusnet as the ISP) . The router itself has the ability to host a VPN connection that I can get to from my laptop or iPhone, basically anything that can initiate a PPTP VPN connection.

Now with this in place, if I want to grab a file off the NAS or print something at home I can do it from anywhere that I can get a connection. Oh yeah, and it also has the benefit that when I'm on some dodgy wifi hotspot, my access is encrypted and routed via my home connection instead. It's pretty useful for iPlayer when overseas as well...

As you're already into the Vmware side of things, you could also consider a pre built virtual applicance that would provide your VPN services as well, see here for examples:
                  OpenVPN appliances
                  Agreed regarding routers which host VPN. A few years ago I found the Draytek routers rock solid.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                    Agreed regarding routers which host VPN. A few years ago I found the Draytek routers rock solid.
                    Thanks SD.

+1 for the Drayteks, very good pieces of kit, especially if you're used to some of the tat from companies such as Belkin.

LogMeIn is very good, but it's no different to PC Anywhere in the sense that it's purpose is to allow you to control a remote machine via it's desktop. It requires installation on any target machine you want to access.

Hamachi, is a software VPN solution but again, you'd have to install a Hamachi client on a machine and leave this up. Its method of operation relies on a central mediation server (operated by LogMeIn) so some information is sent to them.

The best thing about having the VPN in the router is (for my mind) the ease of setup and the fact that, well, if your router is down, network access for the rest of your devices is a moot point anyway. Whereas, if your machine/image running OpenVPN has a brain fart, then that's your lot, unless you can somehow get it rebooted/restarted by a watchdog process of some kind.

BTW, if you do get a VPN up and running, when accessing a Windows machine, look to use Remote Desktop instead. You'll find the performance better since it can switch off/ignore certain features (like background bitmaps etc) depending on how you configure it.

Comment

Working...
                    X