• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which new laptop for running XP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which new laptop for running XP

Hi,

I have an application that won't run on anything but XP (W7's XP compatibility mode doesn't work, neither will virtual hosts). Unfortunately the laptop I use for running it is failing rapidly so I need to source a replacement.

I know I can get a 2nd hand laptop for a song on eBay but I would much prefer a new one (for reliability reasons) so can anyone tell me who makes a current laptop that can run XP ? I know I won't be able to buy a PC with XP installed but I have licences and media for it so can just install from scratch on top of whatever is supplied with it.

Please don't suggest alternatives to XP like eg Linux WINE, nothing will do for me but a native XP x32 box for this particular application. And yes it is worth the price of a new laptop (as long as it's not at the dearer end)

Thanks,

Boo
    Last edited by Boo; 3 July 2013, 14:06.

Why don't you just run XP as a virtual machine on another box?

Or just have a looky on eBay for an old Dell/HP machine.

Should read the question before typing.

Comment

core 2 duo laptops in PC Laptops & Netbooks | eBay

Any of those should work IMO. Select ones which are New/New other/Refurbished.
      I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Any modern machine should run xp just don't waste money on ram if it's 32bit.

What is the app?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Any decent laptop that takes your fancy with VmWare or Virtual box. Windows7/8 goodness with your app running virtually.
          Last edited by Netraider; 3 July 2013, 13:43. Reason: Spelling
          SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
            Any decent laptop that takes your fancy with VmWare or Virtual box. Windows7/8 goodness with your app running virtually.
            What part of Please don't suggest alternatives to XP like eg Linux WINE, nothing will do for me but a native XP x32 box for this particular application are you struggling with, Netraider ?

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Any modern machine should run xp
              Yes, iff you can get the drivers. Hence my question.

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              What is the app?
              That will lead to thread drift so please accept my apologies for not answering.

Boo

Comment

Get a refurbished one off Amazon?

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                  What part of Please don't suggest alternatives to XP like eg Linux WINE, nothing will do for me but a native XP x32 box for this particular application are you struggling with, Netraider ?

Boo
                  Wine isn't anything close to VMware, which would be a physical machine as far as your app would see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                    Yes, iff you can get the drivers. Hence my question.
                    A Lenovo Thinkpad T series should be fine. Most modern business class laptops will have XP drivers available, because many companies still use XP.

Also, as others have stated, VMWare + XP is indistinguishable from native XP UNLESS you need to support legacy hardware such as a PCI card that doesn't have up to date drivers available. Hence my question about the specific app, as this is a problem I've had myself.
                    Last edited by doodab; 3 July 2013, 14:40.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X