• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website, database and server monitoring software.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website, database and server monitoring software.

Hi all,

Had a few issues with a clients website and I'm looking for monitoring software. In the past I've used ChartBeat, with SQL check on a dedicated monitor as a first indication of any problems with the site or database.

We also have Zabbix installed, but not really configured properly (not the most intuitive bit of software).

What do you guys use and why?

Ideally, I'm looking for something that I can have up on a dedicated monitor, will give me an fast indication of issues but then will allow me to delve into issues.

Note, running several servers from windows server 2003 to 2008. Sql Server 2005-2008. Budget depends if I can justify the software.

Cheers
    Last edited by woohoo; 25 June 2013, 09:51.

What's your budget and OS? I use Nagios.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
      What's your budget and OS? I use Nagios.
      jeesh how did I miss that basic information. Main site is running on Windows Server 2003, IIS 6, ASP.Net. The database server is also 2003 running SQL Server 2005. Though, there are also more up to date machines for other software which I wouldn't mind monitoring also. But again all windows OS.

I've been told that Nagios is very similar to Zabbix which is free.

Budget depends on if I can justify it. But they are very keen to have decent monitoring software.

Comment

We have used Server Density in the past. Seems to do the job. If you are hosting in the cloud with RackSpace or Amazon, they might be provided tools of their own.
        I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
          We have used Server Density in the past. Seems to do the job. If you are hosting in the cloud with RackSpace or Amazon, they might be provided tools of their own.
          Cool will have a look.

Edit. Just had a look at their website, seems pretty basic?

This seem quite interesting AppDynamics
          Last edited by woohoo; 25 June 2013, 10:34.

Comment

SQL Monitor from Red-Gate.

Although there are a many free SQL monitoring tools, but YMMV in terms of what you want from it.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
            X