• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Infinity 2 installed yesterday, cant get my head around download \ wireless speed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infinity 2 installed yesterday, cant get my head around download \ wireless speed

Had BT Infinity 2 installed yesterday, on the speed test I did this morning with nothing else connected to the network, download speed to home was 53mbps and upload 12mbps. Impressive compared to the 6mbps on adsl I used to get.

However, when I view my wireless connection speed via my lappie's wireless network gui, it says my speed varies between 300 - 72mbps. Well, how can my 'wireless' speed be more than my exchange to home download speed?

Im using 2 wireless channels (2.5ghz and 5ghz).

If I connect to the HomeHub 3 via the LAN, the connection to the lappie is limited to 100mbps as that's all the ethernet card in the lappie supports and dont have a prob with this.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Had BT Infinity 2 installed yesterday, on the speed test I did this morning with nothing else connected to the network, download speed to home was 53mbps and upload 12mbps. Impressive compared to the 6mbps on adsl I used to get.

However, when I view my wireless connection speed via my lappie's wireless network gui, it says my speed varies between 300 - 72mbps. Well, how can my 'wireless' speed be more than my exchange to home download speed?

If I connect to the HomeHub 3 via the LAN, the connection to the lappie is limited to 100mbps as that's all the ethernet card in the lappie supports and dont have a prob with this.
    Wireless LAN i.e. local area network. You have a small network in your house that is routed to the internet via your router. So if you had two laptops connected to your wirless router you could copy files between them at the wifi speed without going out to the internet.

Comment

Well, how can my 'wireless' speed be more than my exchange to home download speed?
      Why would you think your wireless speed is limited by your exchange to home download speed?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by LatteLiberal View Post
        Wireless LAN i.e. local area network. You have a small network in your house that is routed to the internet via your router. So if you had two laptops connected to your wirless router you could copy files between them at the wifi speed without going out to the internet.
        Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Why would you think your wireless speed is limited by your exchange to home download speed?
        It just seems logical to me that if the waterboard is delivering water at say, 5 litre per second to your home that when you connect a hosepipe to that supply, your hose pipe cant deliver the water at a speed > 5 litre per second.

If the exchange to HH3 link is only 53mbps and if the HH3 to lappie is greater than this, surely there's going to be a lot of lag in the system until the HH3 delivers all the data?
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Re: Infinity 2 installed yesterday, cant get my head around download \ wireless speed

It just seems logical to me that if the waterboard is delivering water at say, 5 litre per second to your home that when you connect a hosepipe to that supply, your hose pipe cant deliver the water at a speed > 5 litre per second.

If the exchange to HH3 link is only 53mbps and if the HH3 to lappie is greater than this, surely there's going to be a lot of lag in the system until the HH3 delivers all the data?
          Pack up the home hub, call BT and tell them you've changed your mind.

You sir, are too stupid to be allowed on the internet!

Sent from my tweeting foot massager.
          B00med!

Comment

If data is coming in over the Internet link and then the wireless link, then either end may be flow controlling the speed and as a result one or both links aren't running at their full speed, e.g. the previously measured maximum Internet speed, or else the wireless speed is the "air speed" but data isn't being transferred over it continuously - If you alternate between sprinting like a hare and sitting under a tree, it'll take much longer to complete a marathon!
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

try speedtest.net over wifi, bet it is a little slower than a lan connection.

btw, give infinity 2 a couple of weeks to settle down. I got it last year, with 76Mb download and 20Mb upload straight away. It was really really slow a couple of days later but sped back up to about 60Mb down and 19Mb up where it is now.

Apparently there is an automated thing that throttles the line to get the best speed while maintaining quality and it takes a while to sort itself out.

Comment

You are doing better than me. I moved house last week and the engineer was supposed to come and put Infinity in yesterday. One guy came and did the phone and then they f**knig cancelled my interenet install and put it back until the 5th of April. To make matters worse they cut it off correctly the other house. I can't wait till they try and charge me for the days I couldn't use it.

Bank hol weekend, 2 kids on holiday etc. It's like living in the dark ages. Not a happy bunny as I told the guy in India that DGAS.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I had a similar issue with my Virgin Media fibre optic. I am on 100 mbps connection, and when I connect straight to ethernet cable, I get about 100 mpbs. Connect to wireless, and boom, no more than 60 mbps. SO I dug around, and like you said, it's mostly the difference between 2.4Ghz channel and 5Ghz channel. If I go to router admin page, and change the channel to 5Ghz, I get about 100 mpbs via wireless. As soon as I switch to 2.4Ghz, the speed drops. The problem is 2 fold:

1] 5Ghz is not able to penetrate walls/barriers as well as 2.4 Ghz.
                  2] If you have latest tech with supports wi-fi on 5Ghz (iphone 5 does for example), then you can set the frequency to 5Ghz. Problem is, my wife has iphone 4, and an old laptop. These devices cannot connect to a wifi on 5Ghz frequency.

So stuck on 2.4Ghz, and rocking it up to 60.
                  I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Wonder if I can justify fibre when we move... would love it but can't really see the point. I get something like 20Mbps which equates to about 2MB/s but I've never ever seen it download anything faster than 1MB/s whether from a website, via FTP, etc, so I'm not sure if my connection is the limiting factor.

The upload would be awesome though.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X