• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Target sizes when ripping DVD to digital files?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm putting some DVDs into digital form to watch on laptop/iPad. We used some MKV tool to rip episodes from the DVD (Handbrake couldn't do it) which ended up with files of ~1Gb per 25min episode... basically I think just a direct copy of the DVD in full-quality.

However I'm sure we should be able to get a lot smaller even before we start sacrificing quality, with better codecs. But I don't know what to aim for so I know when to be happy... any suggestions on Mb/minute I should be hoping for?

I do know that my Humax PVR can store HD TV at something like 1Gb/hour, and when I downloaded a F1 race I missed the whole thing in crystal clear HD was 1-2Gb so I'm guessing a ballpark of 250Mb for a 25min episode, maybe?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

From memory (I'm not at home with access to my media server) the standard size of an standard definition program ends up being about 400mb for 40 minutes so yes 250mb for a 25minute program.

MKV HD is higher at about 1gb for 40 minutes.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That's illegal. Isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        That's illegal. Isn't it?
        Stick to General for the moral side

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Stick to General for the moral side
          It's not a moral point, it's a legal one. What you suggest is illegal.

After all
          Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          What the law says, and what is right, are not always the same.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            It's not a moral point, it's a legal one. What you suggest is illegal.

After all
            It's morals whether to follow the law....

Comment

Burning DVDs, bit last year surely, why no get yourself a little remote hard drive you won't have any size limitation issue then

Comment

i wish i read the post properly

Comment

Zero bytes is the most optimal and not illegal if unwatchable...

Comment

An old software I used before.. DVD Shrink 3.2 - VideoHelp.com Downloads
                    I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Working...
                    X