• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Target sizes when ripping DVD to digital files?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just in case it's helpful to anyone, I have ended up using 2 tools:

1)Use MakeMKV to obtain very high quality versions of the video files from the DVD. No options for quality, it just does it so I was looking at 2Gb/hr.

2)Use HandBrake to convert to something more manageable. I used the default profile to convert to MP4. I changed the main X.264 quality from 20->21 and applied a de-interlacing video filter on "fast" mode... without the latter it looked very liney for some reason. Reducing the quality meant 500Mb rather than 700Mb per 45min episode, from a 1.7Gb original MKV.

I was also going to try AnvSoft Any Video Converter but HandBrake worked pretty well so I never got round to it.

I am slightly confused why videos are classed as 720x576, this seems a very odd resolution, but it appears to play alright.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I am slightly confused why videos are classed as 720x576, this seems a very odd resolution, but it appears to play alright.
      This is the resolution of SD video as found on DVDs, DVB-x and DV (i.e. SD camcorder footage) although DVD and DVB can be lower resolution I think. The 576 comes from the # of scan lines that contained actual picture data in days of analogue TV.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I'm putting some DVDs into digital form to watch on laptop/iPad. We used some MKV tool to rip episodes from the DVD (Handbrake couldn't do it) which ended up with files of ~1Gb per 25min episode... basically I think just a direct copy of the DVD in full-quality.

However I'm sure we should be able to get a lot smaller even before we start sacrificing quality, with better codecs. But I don't know what to aim for so I know when to be happy... any suggestions on Mb/minute I should be hoping for?

I do know that my Humax PVR can store HD TV at something like 1Gb/hour, and when I downloaded a F1 race I missed the whole thing in crystal clear HD was 1-2Gb so I'm guessing a ballpark of 250Mb for a 25min episode, maybe?
        Last time I tried this I gave up and torrented the TV series instead. DVDs are at in a box on a shelf in my study still unused
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
        X