• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Router?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of interest, do all the Vigor fans actually use VPN into the router (not passthrough), and what VPN software do you need to use on the client?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'm (possibly) a -1 for draytek - had one a few years back (think it was a 2800 or similar), and it wasn't rock solid. Had to reboot it now and then to get it working again. Maybe I just got a dodgy one as other reviews I've seen have been positive.

I currently use a billion bipac 7402NX and I do use it for VPN termination (not just passthru). But I can't really recommend that either - needs occasional reboots. Also the software updates aren't great. Typically have to restore factory defaults when upgrading and then manually reconfigure it.

For my next one, I think I may try a FRITZ!box. Weird name & look, but seem to do everything and have seem some good writeups. Plus made in Germany, so they must be "sehr gut", right ?!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Apple Airport? I got one, the BT HomeHub was awful, kids ringing me every couple of days 'Dad, Internet not working'.

Airport is rock solid, dunno if it does VPN tho, pretty sure I saw it in the menus mind...
        AFAIK Apple Airport is a wireless access point, not an ADSL router

Comment

Which Router?

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          AFAIK Apple Airport is a wireless access point, not an ADSL router
          For me (BT infinity) the vdsl is just a modem and the Airport is effectively acting as an adsl router, it has four gb ports one of which is a WAN port which goes into the BT modem.

Comment

Working...
          X