• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Which Router?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which Router?"

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    Which Router?

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    AFAIK Apple Airport is a wireless access point, not an ADSL router
    For me (BT infinity) the vdsl is just a modem and the Airport is effectively acting as an adsl router, it has four gb ports one of which is a WAN port which goes into the BT modem.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Apple Airport? I got one, the BT HomeHub was awful, kids ringing me every couple of days 'Dad, Internet not working'.

Airport is rock solid, dunno if it does VPN tho, pretty sure I saw it in the menus mind...
    AFAIK Apple Airport is a wireless access point, not an ADSL router

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    I'm (possibly) a -1 for draytek - had one a few years back (think it was a 2800 or similar), and it wasn't rock solid. Had to reboot it now and then to get it working again. Maybe I just got a dodgy one as other reviews I've seen have been positive.

I currently use a billion bipac 7402NX and I do use it for VPN termination (not just passthru). But I can't really recommend that either - needs occasional reboots. Also the software updates aren't great. Typically have to restore factory defaults when upgrading and then manually reconfigure it.

For my next one, I think I may try a FRITZ!box. Weird name & look, but seem to do everything and have seem some good writeups. Plus made in Germany, so they must be "sehr gut", right ?!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Out of interest, do all the Vigor fans actually use VPN into the router (not passthrough), and what VPN software do you need to use on the client?

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    +1 for draytek. never had a problem in many many years.

Leave a comment:

• Anonymous2012
    replied
    Make Sure

When you VPN into your LAN make sure you are on a totally encrypted connection with a sniffer on I can read your traffic.WI fI easy to sniff your traffic.If your LAN admin is on the ball the LAN server should be cutting off your connection after 45 minutes of non use by yourself. On your laptop you should have everything encrypted using
    freeware TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux If stolen sezzed by the Feds or Customs nobody but nobody can read your vital information.

Leave a comment:

• Anonymous2012
    replied
    Google is your best freind

Read the customer comments to decide Amazon.co.uk: vpn router

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I like my ASUS RT-N66U but its doesn't do the adsl side of things.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    +1 I'm about to upgrade from my Vigor 2820Vn as I've just got BT Infinity. I'll only consider a Draytek to replace it.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Draytek are the only way to go, rock solid stability.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Which Router?

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    ADSL
    Apple Airport? I got one, the BT HomeHub was awful, kids ringing me every couple of days 'Dad, Internet not working'.

Airport is rock solid, dunno if it does VPN tho, pretty sure I saw it in the menus mind...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    adsl or virgin?
    ADSL

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    After a better router than the standard given to me by my ISP, mainly one that allows me to VPN into my LAN when I am away from the office, anyone got any recommendations?
    adsl or virgin?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    started a topic Which Router?

Which Router?

After a better router than the standard given to me by my ISP, mainly one that allows me to VPN into my LAN when I am away from the office, anyone got any recommendations?

Working...
X