• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suggestions for tablets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for tablets

A mate is shopping for a tablet and has asked for my advice. He has seen this ASUS Transformer Pad 32GB (guarantee until 10/2013), but I see a new one comes with a 2 year guarantee.

His primary use is for Facebook, general surfing, music and emails and he's looking to replace an old HP laptop which is driving him nuts. He has good wifi and a traditional desktop for keyboard intensive stuff.

I am afraid I don't know much about tablets so am looking for advice from the panel. Are there any better models out there for this kind of work? Should I suggest an iPad instead? He is on a limited budget so nothing too pricey please.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    A mate is shopping for a tablet and has asked for my advice. He has seen this ASUS Transformer Pad 32GB (guarantee until 10/2013), but I see a new one comes with a 2 year guarantee.

His primary use is for Facebook, general surfing, music and emails and he's looking to replace an old HP laptop which is driving him nuts. He has good wifi and a traditional desktop for keyboard intensive stuff.

I am afraid I don't know much about tablets so am looking for advice from the panel. Are there any better models out there for this kind of work? Should I suggest an iPad instead? He is on a limited budget so nothing too pricey please.
    Ipads have less trouble with compatability issues (like typing in text into CUK threads) but cost more. The transformer has some good features and works fine (bought my ex missus one of the first). I'd specifically recommend the ASUS if you want to watch movies whilst travelling as the screen is a better shape for it, and the keypad has extra batteries, and it has an SD card slot - so you can load up several 64gb cards with stuff. My next pad purchase will be android specifically for this reason, apple seem to thikn that charging you £90 for an extra £32gb of memory is Ok! And you are still limioted to 64GB on board, umless you want to wait for 3g network to stream (whilst in a cutting / tunnel / sticks on the train??)

If you want to do music recording or graphics work then the ipad is better as theres more apps. For general surfing and emailing though - the ASUS will do the job. Just expect a few niggles with screens jumping around when trying to type in text boxes.
    Signed sealed and delivered.

Comment

If that is all he is doing then he is barely scratching the surface so anything will do IMO... Nothing from that list of requirements makes anything stand out.

Maybe need to ask if he really wants a keyboard or just get one of those that is built into the case, amount of stuff he will store, if he wants cool factor, and how much it bothers him about what it costs.

From what you say any of the cheap tablets will suffice.

Do you need a 2 year gaurantee on a tablet? I can't see them lasting a year before you want to swap it at current turnover of kit.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Start with working out which size you want - 10 inch, 8 or 7?

Smaller will fit in your pocket easier, but are not as nice to look at long-term than a larger screen.

From there you are down to whether you prefer Android, iOS or Windows.

The only person I know with a Windows tablet absolutely hates it, but one man's meat is another man's poison. I'm not a fanboi, so haven't used Apple.

I love my Nexus 10, but it depends on what you want it for, and what you expect from it.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Start with working out which size you want - 10 inch, 8 or 7?

The only person I know with a Windows tablet absolutely hates it, but one man's meat is another man's poison. I'm not a fanboi, so haven't used Apple.
          I'm looking to buy the ms surface pro, so would be interested to know why your mate hates his window tablet? Which one has he got?

Comment

Transformer seems overkill for his uses, TBH. If it's going to be his main device I'd say a 10" screen is better... he could even look at iPad2 if they are still selling them.

Otherwise the Kindle Fire HD is cheap
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              I'm looking to buy the ms surface pro, so would be interested to know why your mate hates his window tablet? Which one has he got?
              It's a 32GB one and has a keyboard. Don't know anything beyond that.

His Facebook comments include "First impressions, it sucks." and "fully lived down to my expectations." which I didn't take to be glowing recommendations.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                It's a 32GB one and has a keyboard. Don't know anything beyond that.

His Facebook comments include "First impressions, it sucks." and "fully lived down to my expectations." which I didn't take to be glowing recommendations.
                ok thanks.

Comment

If all he needs is a basic Android tablet then how about one of these

GEM9212 - JoyTAB 9.7 Inch Dual Core Tablet PC by Gemini Devices

The screen is 10" big enough for films etc and it has a microSD slot so has no restrictions on storage. It is native Android rather than skinned which is the reason why I went for one of these rather than the Kindle Fire.

It was a PCMart (?) best buy at £180.

Comment

Thanks all. I'll submit your feedback to my mate in the morning.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X