• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Suggestions for tablets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always recommend a Chromebook to people who want a tablet. You get a keyboard on top of everything a tablet offers: light portable fast and cheap.

I see the need for iphone, but it seems to me that in a situation where you would want a tablet a Chromebook would be a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by mameha View Post
      I always recommend a Chromebook to people who want a tablet. You get a keyboard on top of everything a tablet offers: light portable fast and cheap.

I see the need for iphone, but it seems to me that in a situation where you would want a tablet a Chromebook would be a better option.
      Depends whether you want to stick it in your pocket or not, or use it when you don't have space for a laptop. It's much easier to sit with a tablet on a train / plane / car / campervan than it is with a laptop.

As for cheap - you haven't seen the Google Pixel, have you??
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by mameha View Post

You get a keyboard but you lose the ability to use hundreds of thousands of offline apps/games. Great. It's also no more portable than a small laptop.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Rohypnol

Comment

Thinking of getting this tablet:

AINOL TAB NOVO7 Fire Flame - 7'' HD IPS display (1280*800) dual core 1.5GHz android 4.0 ice cream sandwich tablet pc 16GB 5MP dual camera HDMI Bluetooth aluminium alloy Metal casing: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

as its basically a Nexus 7 but has an SD Card slot (the only reason why I wouldn't buy from google), looks good according to all of the reviews.

Only drawback is that it from a chineese company called Ainol (snigger), to compound matters the back of the tablet is emblazoned with the companies mission statement 'Love Life, Love Ainol' - seriously you couldn't make it up!

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
              Thinking of getting this tablet:

AINOL TAB NOVO7 Fire Flame - 7'' HD IPS display (1280*800) dual core 1.5GHz android 4.0 ice cream sandwich tablet pc 16GB 5MP dual camera HDMI Bluetooth aluminium alloy Metal casing: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

as its basically a Nexus 7 but has an SD Card slot (the only reason why I wouldn't buy from google), looks good according to all of the reviews.

Only drawback is that it from a chineese company called Ainol (snigger), to compound matters the back of the tablet is emblazoned with the companies mission statement 'Love Life, Love Ainol' - seriously you couldn't make it up!
              Obvious differences...

Nexus 7 has a quad-core processor, this has a dual-core.

Nexus 7 has Android 4.1 (probably later now), this has 4.0

This is slightly larger than a Nexus 7

This has a rear camera, Nexus 7 doesn't

Having had a cheapo tablet, and had a Nexus 10, I'd never consider going cheapo again.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Obvious differences...

Nexus 7 has a quad-core processor, this has a dual-core.

Nexus 7 has Android 4.1 (probably later now), this has 4.0

This is slightly larger than a Nexus 7

This has a rear camera, Nexus 7 doesn't

Having had a cheapo tablet, and had a Nexus 10, I'd never consider going cheapo again.
                Its a risk I agree but might be worth a punt at £100 I guess, also the rumours are that Google are going to release an updated N7 at their IO event in May (betting is on a storage bump to 64GB with a 1080pscreen), will wait until then I reckon...

Comment

Dual core vs Quad core, doesn't make much sense on the ARM platform. I have a single core 1Ghz 1GB ram old Samsung and it does pretty much everything, apart from wi-fi reception being a bit sh1te.
                  <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

I've got the Acer 510. Its a great tablet imo. If I was buying now I'd go Nexus 10. Wife has the Nexus 7 and its a great tablet for her smaller hands (although I find it a tad small!).

Lime Pie is due out soon isnt it and Google generally updates its own devices quicker than others IME.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                      Dual core vs Quad core, doesn't make much sense on the ARM platform. I have a single core 1Ghz 1GB ram old Samsung and it does pretty much everything, apart from wi-fi reception being a bit sh1te.
                      Maybe it's down to the RAM instead then - I had a cheapo tablet with a Cortex-A9 chip, which was nothing compared to the Nexus 10.

Awful thing it was.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X